Time to get start building again. Need some RME opinions.

kawzx10

Hey everyone it's been a while since I've posted on here. Life threw me some curve balls but I'm ready to start working on my rig again. I'm trying to decide which route to go.

My rig is a 77 ramcharger. Running 60/14 bolt combo with 4:56 gears, 440 with stock Trans/tcase and bald 39.5 iroks.

So my dilemma is to start with 4 linking the back or going with a doubler. What do you guys think would be a better choice. The rear of my truck is pretty dang stiff but I'm also lacking on the gearing side of things. Also tires are a must before I do much more wheeling so I will be going with 42 or 44" pitbull rockers.

If budget wasn't a issue I'd just do both but unfortunately it is. Haha. Originally I was planning to do the link first but I got to thinking it might be better to get the drivetrain I want in there first and then link it. Not sure how big if a deal that would be. My rig is in the members rides if you want to see what I'm working with. Look forward to your input. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

kawzx10

Well thanks! Love your rigs too. Just got rid of my 4 door taco....it was a sad day. Luckily it went to my dad so I can steal it if I miss it too bad. Haha.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
with big tires like you're talking, I'd go for some more gearing. Either a doubler or swapping your diff gears. I've ran 4.56 with 40" tires and wasn't to big of a fan there. 42" or 44" would not be awesome, IMHO.

kawzx10

That's kinda what I was thinking too. I have been hoping to get some better gearing. Maybe I'll just swap in some 63" springs in the back to soften it up for now.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I think the gearing will potentially save you money (in wear & tear/stress, easing up on drive-train components) but I would drop lower gears in the differentials then look into a lower range box or doubler. Also, look into the 43" SX. I'm currently running them (grooved) and love them. Picked mine up straight from interco as blems for a pretty sweet price.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I also agree with gearing because it will not only be an excellent long term investment but it will also likely get you back on the trail sooner than a link project. I would also look at the SX. I thought people were having issues with PBR sidewalls but maybe that's old news...?

xtremexj

Just looked at your thread in Member's Rides and that is pretty slick!! Love the green! I think I would do the doubler too. The tires look like they have a little bit more life yet and you'll want that gearing if you go up in size.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
def do the gearing first, 4.56's in my opinion will be just fine at the moment so no need to spend any extra money rebuilding the diffs since they are in working order (plus doubt you will not get any recouped money for the used parts, run what ya got attitude). I would stick with spending the money on a doubler at the moment... One word of caution is that you will need to modify the drive shafts to fit the doubler and build a cross member to hold the cases and tunnel mods for the shifters to come through. I feel all those mods can be done quite cheap with an bit of planning. The driveshafts can def be done conservatively if you know the right people to preform the work on your existing shafts instead of having new ones professionally built.

The absolute best thing about a doubler is you get a 3 Speed transfer case, so that lets you have plenty of options for different types of wheeling (1/1, 2.3/1, 4.6/1 as an example). Usually at the time on install you can pick the best option to fit your needs such as 2wd-LO (dubbed triple stick) and front dig options (cause there cool in the right moment)!

If you don't have one already, you may want to throw an anti-axle wrap bar on till ya can actually link the rear (probably 150 to 250 dollars).

I personally wasn't too impressed with the pitbull in the 42" range, but liked it better than an Irok. I would go 43" TSL-SX (sticky) if I would do it over again and a 42" Kevlar (sticky) if I could choose without looking at the price.

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
The auto trans will def help out the gearing dilemma a bit vs manual trans, just keep that sucker COOL.... I run a V8/TH400/4.3 Tcase/4.10's/sticky 40's (even bought it with 42 PBR's and they weren't bad out on snakes)

LT.

First, I would try and figure out exactly what tire size i would want to run. From there I would address the gears in the diffs. 5.13 would be where I would start maybe even the 5.38's for the 42-44" tire range. Doublers are great but, expensive. Diff gears are a little cheaper and will aide in highway use/getting to the trail.

Your motor can make monster power. The single best modification for me was gears and lockers. Think of it this way. Long travel does you no good if the tires are not driven. Even the best rubber in the world does no good if not powered.

LT.

machrism

Axle gearing is the cheapest mod and you have to do it eventually for bigger tires. So I'd do that first. Instead of a doubled. Have you looked into the Stak Monster 3-Speeds. That's what I want to get. They even have one 5:44 to 1 low range.

Rock Taco

Axle gearing is the cheapest mod and you have to do it eventually for bigger tires. So I'd do that first. Instead of a doubled. Have you looked into the Stak Monster 3-Speeds. That's what I want to get. They even have one 5:44 to 1 low range.

I have read there are several issues with Stak. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/764135-stak-3-speed-problem.html I dont think they are actually in business anymore either or are at least having some serious issues.

Chevycrew

I run 4.56 gears and 40s with a 300hp 6 cylinder.... I never run out of power off road. But, I have a 231/241 doubler. For the amount of difference it will make, do the doubler. Axle gears are too small of a change. Flex is also over rated.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Any of the mods are going to make the RC a more capable machine. Just have to pick where you want to start.

Personally.....

with 4.56 gears already I would lean towards doubler. If you were 3.73 or 4.10 I would say axle gears. While the 5.13s would fit your tire size better....I think you will be gaining more from the doubler. You also have enough power under the hood to make up for a little higher gearing. But with the doubler you will have plenty of low gearing for crawling.

As for the tires......everyone knows Im a Pitbull fan. I think the tires just flat work. My 44" Rockers were my favorite tire that I have run. But they are wide. I think you have the room on your rig for them. The 42s are skinnier. There was a sidewall problem for awhile but it was a problem with the rubber the tire plant was using and they were all warrantied. The problem is long gone now. The biggest issue with Pitbulls is they need to be broken in. They work ok new but the more you use them the better they get. The 43 sx is a good tire as well. I dont think Ive heard anything bad. People really like the stickies but exspendy!!

Glad to hear your back and ready to wheel!

AaronPaige

If you want flex cheap I have a ord shackel flip kit and almost new 56 in leafs sitting in a shed I'd make a good deal on... But I agree doubler is the way to go I have a ord 203/205 with the low max kit and can twist overson rockwell shafts in half just off idle, it's a great upgrade but somthing else will have to get built around it