Tips on installing a lift?

metalry101

R/C addict
Alrighty, I'm hoping to get my XJ in the air soon. I haven't quite decided on the lift yet, but probably a Rusty's 4.5" w/ new rear leaves. Any tips or suggestions? Any idea how long this should take? I should have a considerable amount of help (hopefully me and 3 or 4 other people, all who have turned a wrench or two, none who are master mechanics). Is this something I could do, or would I be better off taking it to a shop? I don't mind having to pay to get it done right, but I don't want to spend more money on the install that the Jeep itself is worth. Any tips on the install or on shops I could talk to about installing it would be appreciated. Any special tools I'd need? special wrenches or anything? I think I would need to rent a spring compressor to install the new coils, is this correct? Anything else that would make it a lot easier (other than a fully stocked garage w/ a lift of course)?

Also, I need new front brakes. Any suggestions on an upgrade setup that doesn't break the bank but does a solid job?

Any suggestions on a place to get a sweet deal on 31x10.5x15 TrXus MT's? The ACC down the street from me seems to have good prices, just curious if there are any other places that are 'wheeler friendly. Maybe the same place that would install the lift for a reasonable price? I'm probably going to do it over Christmas. I would prefer local (SL valley), but if there is another place that has an awesome rep and good prices that's a bit of a drive, I would consider it for sure.

fonzisjeepn

I feel that skyjacker makes a better lift for your jeep. I've installed lifts in my garage but it turn out to be a pain, if you don't have all the right tools. if your going to do it yourself make sure yo spray your bolts with a rust remover a couple of times b/4 you start. I've always had all my work done at Mt. Logan off-road they do an awsome job and will give you the best lift for the best price. you should give them a call it might me worth the drive to come to Logan. the phone # is 435-752-4272 :) :) :) they also sell tires and mount and balance them on site.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Well, the only real suggestion that I could offer for you on the install would be to maybe have a coil compressor for the front springs. I always find that it makes it a lot easier if aren't removing all of the control arms and dropping the axle to the ground. Also, get a line wrench for your brake lines, since I've always seemed to strip the "nut" type thing on them with standard open end wrenches. Other than that, just spray everything down (bolts, nuts, brake lines) with some rust remover. PB Blaster seems to work really good. On the rear springs, REALLY spray the bolts on the front hanger. They tend to rust up and when you try to remove the bolt, it's snaps the welded nut on the inside of "frame" free, so you end up having to cut into the unibody just to get the bolt out.

As for your choice on lifts, I've heard mixed reviews on Rusty's products. They used to have a big problem with rear spring sag, but that might have been corrected by now. Control arms are okay, not the best out there, but decent. Haven't really heard much else though. My personal choice is Rubicon Express. They really do make the best lift out there for a Cherokee. Best parts, quality work on everything. There's a lot of guys on here running RE, including myself and they've all been happy with them. As for Skycrapper, I wouldn't buy their lifts. There control arms are cheap and even if you go for their "double flex" arms, you'll have worn out the heim's in them in under a year. So, all in all, I say go with a Rubicon lift. It's what I run and I have never had a complaint about it.

:greg:

leorn

reset
i don't have experience with your front coils, but i had to torch out the leaves on my truck. i had to beg steal and borrow to get a torch in my garage. i had my 1st lift installed and then transferred it to my current rig. knowing i can replace any part of my suspension makes trail breakdowns way less scary.

it took me two days but i had no idea what the hell i was doing. my buddy has done lifts on his xj without much problem. he's just a kid with no $ that loves to play just like the rest of us

i'd do it

DARKFLY

i just did my xj lift a couple of months ago. my suggest is to get a spring compresor and spray any bolts u have to remove. i installed my 3.5 tuff country lift with some home made rear springs by my self in about 5 hours with out a spring compressor. if you have help it should only take about 4-5 hours with help the rear springs are going to be the hardest to take out so spray them for at least a week or more before u start. the front was the easiest lift i have ever done dont pay someone to do it u will under stand more about your truck if u do it your self just my opinon.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
okay i guess i will contribute now.
just rent spring compressors from the zone or checker for the front, but i highly suggest air tools for them... it would suck without air tools!

none of the bolts on my jeep were very stuck, but a lot of people have problems with their bolts.
so get a breaker bar from hf and get a piece of pipe/tube to fit over it to use as a cheater. you might need to stand on it to break some bolts loose.

i've lifted a few xjs and a tj now, it is not very hard imo.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Just to emphasize what's already been said a few times, spray everything down with a rust remover two weeks in advance. PB Blaster is good stuff, I personally prefer Liquid Wrench. Religiously, every morning, spray all bolts you think you'll have to take out. It made the biggest difference on my YJ.
Devin

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
everytime someone says something about spraying bolts they add an extra 5 days on there. the first person said a day in advance, the second said a week in advance... etc :rolleyes:
PB rocks!!!!

metalry101

R/C addict
Wow...awesome responses guys. Thanx

I'm trying to pick between the Rusty's 4.5" and the RE 3.5". I've heard nothing but awesome things about RE, but I do like the extra expandability that the 4.5" gives me. The price difference between the two (if I buy from www.crawltech.com) is only 30 bux including shipping on the Rusty's, so that's not a concern. The fact that my XJ has 195K on it is though...and since I don't know much longer it will last, maybe I should just go w/ the 3.5" and 31's and call it a day. That would be vastly better than stock, and I'd be certain that the rest of the Jeep would wear out before the suspension.

I knew I needed to spray the bolts, but I didn't know what exactly to spray them w/. I'll check all of those ones you guys mentioned out.

I'll also give that shop in Logan a call. I've got some friends up at Utah State that I could go visit while they work on my rig if I do end up taking it up there, and that drive isn't half bad. I didn't put that system in there for nothing. Those Diamonds pound like hell for their size.

I'm worried big time about rust and everything, as my Jeep does have 195K on it, and it is 16 years old. I doubt many of those bolts are going to come off w/o a serious fight. Anyways...any other suggestions, tips, words of wisdom?

DARKFLY

my 89 xj has over 200,000 when i did the lift and i had no problems with any bolt i just sugest the rear leaf spring eye bolts because they are usually the hardest bolts to remove. and pb blaster it the bomb it will lossen any bolt u need the longer u can soak the bolts the better soak them before u drive the ride helps the lube penitrate even more.

mowlasley

I have the RE 3 1/2" kit on my '95 if you want to check it out. If you are replacing your control arms, I see no reason why you need a spring compressor, I had no problems squeezing my coils in (just had to detach the brakelines from the unibody). The only problem I had was with a splined torx style pin on the swaybar brackets. I had to torch those things out. Everything else walked out fine after two weeks on the PB Blaster.

As for the TruXus tires, I bought my 31s from (my apologies for mentioning the taboo to RME) Anarchy Offroad. Good deal, good shop to work with.

jcruiser70

poser
One of my friends had the rusty 4.5, I helped him install it, it wasn't too bad, he ran 32" bfgs, flexed very well. He developed some death wobble issues, (not sure if it had anything to do with the lift) he tried everything he could, but couldn't fix it, so he traded it in. :-\

Rusty's stuff seems to be pretty good quality. They tried to help him fix the problem but no luck.

Ken

Depending on the length of your control arms you may be able to just disconnect your front end components and have enough play to put your springs up in there. Lube up the bolts real good, and go get some mapp gass or propane and a tip for the rusted stuff. All in all it isn't that bad. If you were by yourself it would be a trip, but since you have people helping it shouldn't be terrible. IMHO lining up the axles for the control arms and leaf springs is the hardest part, especially by yourself. Make sure you have a decent jack. If your doing a pitman arm get a puller. I would suggest at least a transfer case drop for your driveline.
P.S. Before you pay a shop pay me!!!!! I'll do it cheaper. I'm broke.

Ford Prefect

Myself, I am a teraflex fan, but my jeep has a Procomp on it because it was a gift. SO, not going to look that in the mouth and say no! haha

Seriously though, Have Friends Help!!!! It makes SUCH a HUGE difference if you have two or three guys in there working with you on it. Lots of jack stands, and a few guys going at it from either end and you will have her done in a day.

Cheers
B