Jeep Tire carrier for xj

Freeman Jeep

I already have a homemade bumper on the back of my xj and now im looking to make a stinger type tire carrier for it, it's gonna hold a 35" tire right now and the biggest im gonna go is 37's. Im just curious as to what y'all have to say about bolting it to the rear hatch like whats on the poison spider stinger carrier, or if i somehow hook to the bumper.carrier.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It will just break the hatch. You need the steel quarter guards and then you can bolt the top two supports to those. I hate tire carriers cause they're so bulky. I had mine mounted straight-up in the back of my xj for that reason.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
What he said. Even if you have the later model steel hatch it's not enough. The sides are not enough till you spread the load with quarter guards.

Freeman Jeep

Thanks for the info guys i was planning on the steel quarter guards. How do y'all have your tires mounted? mines just riding in the back right now taking up alot of space!

N-Smooth

image.jpg
This is how mine was attached when I used to carry it. I built a square tube frame for the cargo area so I could mount stuff in there.
image.jpg
This is what it looked like all loaded. I welded hooks to the floor to strap the action packers down. It was a nice setup until I decided to put my fuel cell back there.

Freeman Jeep

thats not a bad setup my rear cargo area has got a tool box/parts box taking up about a third of the space its not little by any means. I just need something so im thinkin im gonna go get some metal and fab somethin up

dash

dude i just lay mine down in the back but i took the back seat out. i put it towards the dront and that is where i keep my snacks while wheeling. easy grab spot and it helps make the cargo area look bigger. i can sleep back there. i am 6' 2" and it works for me.

thenag

View attachment 86772
This is how mine was attached when I used to carry it. I built a square tube frame for the cargo area so I could mount stuff in there.

What size tire is that? I had my 37 in the back for a bit and it stood up perfectly between the floor and ceiling, actually have a tire tread mark on the headliner to this day. (yeah I know I still have carpet, a/c and a headliner...)

(This is where I would rave about RidgidCo's bumper but the OP said he has a bumper already.)

You can buy beefy spindle kits for not too much, the DaStaCo latch seems to be the best one.

With an xj you gotta spread the load, it may be time to look at adding some stringers, etc to your design.

I can't find a link now but there is a guy who has a nice xj in Reno (silver I think, I think he put a v8 in it?) but he had a nice rear bumper and it started to tear the "frame" He thought it was from the weight of the tire.

Nathan
99 xj with pretty much everything
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

Freeman Jeep

thenag your xj is pretty sweet i wish i had some more money so i could get mine a little more built up but its not to far from where i want to leave it for a while just a few more little things here and there and i'll be satisfied for a little while haha

N-Smooth

Tire carriers will fatigue the unibody pretty much no matter what you do. The more built the better but all that weight, leverage and vibration has to go somewhere