Tire carrier spindle

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Called summit today, no go. Has anyone had any experience with comp4x4 in Spanish Fork? They sell several renditions as well as several latches.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I just built a new bumper and tire carrier and used a trailer spindle (1 ton I believe) and a piece of tubing for the Pivot. Total cost for the spindle, bearings, races, seal and cap is around $25. I have carried a 37" tire with this exact set up on a different bumper without any issues. Here are a few pics.
bumperview1.jpg

bumperview4.jpg

bumperview5.jpg

bumperview6.jpg

2"DOM is what I belive will fit the races and all you have to do is put a sleeve inside to keep the races seperated. I did not have a piece of DOM so I had a friend bore weld a piece of 2 " pipe and machine it for the races.

I used a DeStaco stainless steel clamp that I got from Reid Supply.

bumperview3.jpg

bumperview7.jpg

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Well, I was pretty impressed with myself and the bumper I built until I saw yours Anderson750. I guess I will have to go with the story I use for my Mossberg uglymag. Um no I didn't buy/build that. When I bought the Jeep it was under the back seat:)

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Well, I was pretty impressed with myself and the bumper I built until I saw yours Anderson750. I guess I will have to go with the story I use for my Mossberg uglymag. Um no I didn't buy/build that. When I bought the Jeep it was under the back seat:)

I can't take full credit. A friend of mine owns a bronze foundry and has all the tools I needed to do the job. I can't take credit for the pretty welds on the swing out stop and around the spindle on top of the bumper either. He TIG welded those.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Now I'm confused. I just checked Summit's web site and they are showing the hinges. When I called Julene yesterday she said they don't carry them. Maybe she misunderstood me. Oh well. They are listed at $99, a little too pricey for me.

Sawtooth, what is your hinge made from? Looks like it has brass bushings. Nice.

Caleb

Now I'm confused. I just checked Summit's web site and they are showing the hinges. When I called Julene yesterday she said they don't carry them. Maybe she misunderstood me. Oh well. They are listed at $99, a little too pricey for me.

Sawtooth, what is your hinge made from? Looks like it has brass bushings. Nice.

Their site is probably just out-of-date.

Venture13

IMAG0449-1.jpg

This is what I make for people when they want a bumper swing out ire carrier spindle/hinge assembly. Real quick cut on the lathe.