Tire Choice?

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Ok so I've narrowed it down to these 3 tires, all the same size @ 40x13.50r17

Nitto Mud Grappler

Nitto Trail Grappler MT

Goodyear MTR/kevlar.

They are all super spendy so the pricing isn't making the decision for me. I've been running the Mud Grappler in a 38x1350r15 for a couple years now and really like them.
The Grappler MT has a slightly softer casing @ 3195lbs pr tire compared to the Mud Grappler @ 4300lbs which leads me to think the MT would air down better. The Goodyear has the same 3195lbs as well.

Typical crawling for me is Moab type rocks, 5 mile area etc. I don't do mud so that's not a concern and this is a trailer only rig.

Kinda leaning towards the Mud Grappler again just from my experiance with them.
Suggestions?
Feedback?

I'm ordering tires/wheels just after the 1st of the year.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I have the Trail Grapplers on my F350. I use it for towing. they are almost bald after two years of use. Only about 20K miles on them. I think they suck for tire life. But other then that, they work great. I use them mostly for towing and street use. Not a lot of dirt time.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I was pretty impressed with the 37" MTR Kevlar's I was running on my old GMC, seemed like they worked well in the rocks and good on the road. Also the MTR/Kevlars run true to measured size, I compared my 37" Kevlars to the a old style MTR 40" tire and the 37 was about an inch smaller.

Rock Taco

I haven't priced 40" tires in awhile but why not consider a maxxis tire? Especially since its trailer only. That would be my first choice (treps) then probably BFG KM2.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
I haven't priced 40" tires in awhile but why not consider a maxxis tire? Especially since its trailer only. That would be my first choice (treps) then probably BFG KM2.

Because they are quite a bit more then the tires listed. The Good years are about $2700, the Mud Grappler is about $1950 and the MT's are about $2175.00
The Treps that I've found made the GY look affordable.

Rock Taco

Because they are quite a bit more then the tires listed. The Good years are about $2700, the Mud Grappler is about $1950 and the MT's are about $2175.00
The Treps that I've found made the GY look affordable.

Are you looking at sticky or radial compounds? A quick search for a radial treps are about 510 ea in a 40". I know All Jeep is a dealer as well. Give Mesha a call and see what he can do for you.

Ashcat

Sticky Treps can be delivered to your door for less than $2,800. From vendors not commonly found on this site. If you consider GY, then you'd be out of your mind not to go Maxxis.

As Sawtooth said, Grapplers blow hard. You would not get one full year of offroad use out of them. To get 20,000 miles, he must be really nice to them and not even use the gravel parking lot at Triple S Steel :rofl:

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Sticky Treps can be delivered to your door for less than $2,800. From vendors not commonly found on this site. If you consider GY, then you'd be out of your mind not to go Maxxis.

As Sawtooth said, Grapplers blow hard. You would not get one full year of off road use out of them. To get 20,000 miles, he must be really nice to them and not even use the gravel parking lot at Triple S Steel :rofl:

The Grappler comparison doesn't carry any weight with me. I'm not towing, daily driving or even driving on asphalt for that matter with this rig. It's driven on a trailer.
However, this is why I was asking for opinions. Maybe the MT's would do well on the rocks if they wear down rather fast on the pavement, softer rubber? Who knows.
I've had great success with the Mud Grappler for the last couple years and other then the edges of the blocks (from slipping on rocks) they are still at full tread depth.

Right now that's the way I'm leaning is the Mud Grapplers..