Tire deflators: which style and why?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have a really cool ARB tire deflator that I love. Screw it on, unscrew the valve core, and a tornado of wind comes out. Tire is deflated in a matter of seconds. But I only have 1, and I have 3 trucks. The deflator is never in the same vehicle I am.. and my wife is out of town, so I can basically buy whatever I want!

I have always thought the adjustable brass deflators were cool. Screw them on each wheel, and they do all the work. They are slower than the ARB I have.. but I could do all 4 at once.. so the timing may be similar?? I believe you can also drive away with the little brass deflators still deflating.

What do you guys use, and why? benefits / draw backs of the different styles?

Homefryy

I got have one similar to the ARB one you have but a cheaper brand. I actually havent had a chance to use it yet. For a while i was just pulling the valve core with a basic removal tool or just depressing the stem with a stone or whatever was around.

When i was making the decision on what to buy i decided against the little adjustable brass ones because i like to air down to different pressures for different situations and i believe those need to be calibrated to a set pressure.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I too use the remove-the-core deflator. Mine is an EZ Deflator. There are several cheaper brands of that style, you could get one for each vehicle since you.like it already...

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have the Trailheads and love them. Twist them on and go, no squatting by the tire waiting. My only gripe is it's hard to adjust PSI on the fly with them - @TRD270 has a similar style that are adjustable without tools. That'll be my next set.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have 2 arb deflators, one in each rig. I like them, but I wouldn't mind the adjustable ones Kevin mentioned. I think they are about the same money as the arb.

OrangeSkidPlate

I have the brass one's that you can adjust the psi it's supposed to stop at. I have them all the way open so smittybuilt claims it's 8 psi. I have noticed that even though they are set the same, two let out more air quicker. So I usually put them on and then walk around the truck cheacking air as they go and stop them when I have reached my desired psi.

Bart

I am a firm believer in the KISS concept and use the Tera deflaters. Yes, they are slower, but I use different PSI for different trails and conditions. I don't mind a few trips around the rig and it give me a chance to give it a quick pre run inspection.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Thanks guys!
I opted for a knock off of the ARB deflator I already have. We'll see how it compares in quality.. but since they are 'all made in the same factory in China anyway', I assume they will be similar :rofl:

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
I love the idea of Staun deflators. I had the Smittybilt knockoff, and after airing down, air pressure would vary anywhere from 1-3 lbs. You can fine tune them, but was never able to dial them in correctly. Unfortunately, it isn't surprising coming from Smittybilt IMO. I'd be shocked if the Staun deflators weren't better, but you pay for it too. I won a Currie deflator at EJS a few years ago. I believe its similar to the ARB variant. I've had a good experience with it so far.

Attachments

• 23199.jpg
    23199.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 0

StormRider

I've had a set of Staun deflators for about 10 years, and they always let me down :)
Great quality, put them on and walk away for a few minutes and harass everyone using the one at a time dial deflators.
I've also put them on and started down a trail, and pulled them off 5 minutes later when they're done.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
^ I've done that with my Trailheads too, but I'm always nervous when I do that I'll rub one on something and tear the valve stem out.

DAA

I have two sets of Stauns. Got them both used for fair prices. Keep one set at 12 psi for real wheeling and one at 18 for most of my off roading.

Had an ARB, just didn't like using it very much, especially when it's like -5 degrees out. I gave it to my old neighbor. The Stauns just a lot easier, for me anyway.

- DAA

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have two sets of Stauns. Got them both used for fair prices. Keep one set at 12 psi for real wheeling and one at 18 for most of my off roading.

Had an ARB, just didn't like using it very much, especially when it's like -5 degrees out. I gave it to my old neighbor. The Stauns just a lot easier, for me anyway.

- DAA

I recently picked up a set of Stauns. Haven't tried them yet though but the reviews are really good and the build quality appears really well.

Reactions: DAA