Tire groover

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Does anyone local rent one?

Or does anyone have one to loan/ rent?

I'm getting some 38" sx's at the begining of march and trying to decide whether to groove or not.

So the 36's will be for sale:D

Caleb

I have one I got it from afco racing...I will see if I can find their site again...and I would strongly suggest grooving...:D

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
here is me... bought a groover like a year ago... it's still in the box . I'm gonna groove the 40's (hawgs basically) How big of a pita is it to groove four tires? Am I gonna be there ALL DAY or what? Does the ol' spankin hand get cramps?

Caleb

guess the link doesn;t work...hmmm it worked last night when i first posted it...oh well go to www.afcoracing.com and search under the mfg. Ideal....its the only product they have on there...there are two versions of the Ideal gun going around...theres a 100W and a 250W...the 250W is a little more(about $30) but it makes a huge difference in how easily it grooves...

Sky when I did my 38 SXs it took a couple hours but if you do it right then your hand doesn;t cramp up...you need to let the tip touch the tire and it preheats the area a little and makes it cut way easier...also when you do it let the tires sit in the warm sun a few hours before you begin...that makes it easier too...I removed about 5lbs of rubber from my tires...here is a pic of how I did mine...

Caleb

Those were 38.5x11x16.5...I took them back and got a winch cause they didn't mount very well on my beadlocks that are 9" wide...go figure:D:p

Caleb

Originally posted by Shawn
That's a nice price for that Groover, could tell if they sold extra blades, did you get some from them?

Everyone that I talked to before I bought it said get some extra blades, but I didn't and infact I am still on my orignal blade...if you dont rush it and you let it do the work then you dont really go through them very quickly...another thing that is cool is you can flip the blade around and use it for siping too...I bought a siping gun too and its the exact same thing but it isn't heated...the blades are the same and everything...you do get some extra blades with it though...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Skyetone
here is me... bought a groover like a year ago... it's still in the box . I'm gonna groove the 40's (hawgs basically) How big of a pita is it to groove four tires? Am I gonna be there ALL DAY or what? Does the ol' spankin hand get cramps?

The trick is to groove your tires when they are at room temperature and above, and they usually cut real easily... Cold tires are a PITA!

Depending on how much grooving, I would say about 10-15 minutes per tire.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by supergper
guess the link doesn;t work...hmmm it worked last night when i first posted it...oh well go to www.afcoracing.com and search under the mfg. Ideal....its the only product they have on there...there are two versions of the Ideal gun going around...theres a 100W and a 250W...the 250W is a little more(about $30) but it makes a huge difference in how easily it grooves...

Sky when I did my 38 SXs it took a couple hours but if you do it right then your hand doesn;t cramp up...you need to let the tip touch the tire and it preheats the area a little and makes it cut way easier...also when you do it let the tires sit in the warm sun a few hours before you begin...that makes it easier too...I removed about 5lbs of rubber from my tires...here is a pic of how I did mine...

What size of blade were these cut with?