Tire Pressure Gauges

Bones

Is there any out there that are consistant? I have std. ones, digital ones cheap slide ones, gauge style ones med. priced ones. None seem to give the same reading. Of all the std. slide style seem to be to most consistant between the three I have, but suck ass at low psi IMO.

Slide style read 34, digi 42, gauge style 30 WTF! All I want is 30 in my DD tires dammit! What gives!

Xmas is near, and I want a good one I have to take care of and that is accurate at low psi as well as when airing back up and everyday use.

Links, brands and models numbers appreciated.

Caleb

I think the best quality ones you'll get would be from a race shop cause they ahve to be pretty accurate...check out summit and the like...I bought (actually it was a xmas gift) a digital one and it never worked so I do know what you mean...:p

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Bones said:
Slide style read 34, digi 42, gauge style 30 WTF! All I want is 30 in my DD tires dammit! What gives!

:rofl: I feel for you dude. I had the same thing happen to me in Moab this summer. We had 3 gauges trying to dial in my friends's tires and they were all way off (+/- 7psi). It was really frustrating :-\ We finally just relied on one gauge =| I'd like to have a real legit gauge if it isn't too pricey.

I

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
What is this!!??? Gauges Schmages!! I don't need no stinking gauges!! Just use a baseball bat!! A nice thump! will tell you!! I personally like the "check my bulge" test! get your mind out of the gutter!! My tire's bulge!! Not my.......oh nevermind!

EZ

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
One of my friends hooked me up with a Snap-On low pressure guage (1-20 PSI). I love it, I've owned it for about 8 yrs & I rarely let it out of my sight. It's dead on, always.

Snap-On tools rock... :D

kirk86CJ

Greg said:
One of my friends hooked me up with a Snap-On low pressure guage (1-20 PSI). I love it, I've owned it for about 8 yrs & I rarely let it out of my sight. It's dead on, always.

I went to EVCO and built one with brass fittings. One one end a coupling that will clamp on to your valve stem. On the other end a air compressor fitting. In the middle a ball valve to open and close, and a guage. The guage goes up to 25 lbs (I think), but you can get any range you want. I saw a similar one and thought it was cool for airing down, the only bad part was it cost about $30.00 - Not sure it was worth it. - live and learn.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Greg said:

Have you tested it lately against a calibrated standard? Unfortunately, many gages will be off somewhat the very day you buy them. The only way to confirm your gage is to compare it to a standard. Consistently, I go out to work with people (I am in the tire business), and check their gages against my calibrated gage and sure enough, their gage is off. I'll let a couple of psi go, but any more than 3psi, and I'm looking for a replacement for them.

Tire shops should have a master gage installed somewhere (although not all do), you could probably take your gage in and compare it to their master gage. Make sure you ask them when it was last calibrated, since people tend to think they never need to check their gages. I have a digital gage that is calibrated annually, and I use that to check my stick gages (which are my daily use gages).