Tire question

XJCP

has anyone had any exp good or bad with the Toyo Open Country MT tires? mostly wondering about off road use dont really care about road handling.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've got them on my StuperDuty. Good on road handling for a solid offroad tire. I'm having to balance them about every 3K miles, though.

For strictly offroad use (depending on what terrain, how you abuse them, etc.), I'd think there are better choices.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I used them for two days. For a dedicated offroad rig there are better options. They are very hard and probably last forever on road, but they have little traction off road.

fire4j15

There not as bad as everyone says. I have a set of 35"x12.50x17 on my jeep unlimited. Have worked great so far. Last weekend I used them on a trail that had deep mud ruts about 12" deep. Worked great. Not quite as good as my MTR's on the rock at moab but very close. Have worn great on the road also.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
If you are looking for a great on road tire you will be happy with them,
off road they are still really pretty good out off of the rack (as they come from the tire store), but if you want to really step up how they perform off road have them siped.

I was happy with them before I siped them but afterwards it was amazing how well they worked.

Caleb

Never used them myself but I have yet to see them offroad perform worth crap. Like mentioned, they are probably great on road because they are a hard tire but offroad, it's the last "offroad" tire I'd want on my rig.

Roktoys84

Bump it
I am really impressed with my Cooper STT's. Used them in Moab last week and they hook up great. They look similar to a Toyo but have a softer rubber. I'm running 37-12.5-17s and they're alot lighter than Toyos or Krawlers and they drive on the street nice too.