Tire Shop Dilema

Went to a local tire shop yesterday to get ny U-Joints looked at. I have heard a clanking coming from down low that has been getting steadily worse. Turns out the front U-Joint was toast, and while they were fixing that they found that the passenger side axle seal was destroyed and leaking all over the place so I had them fix that as well. While I was waiting I spied a set of 285-75-16 Toyo MT's on the shelf and I have been wanting a pair for a long time. The Dean MT's I have are great, and have really racked up the miles, and while they have good tread left they just do not have the traction I desire. I told them to throw the Toyo's on, then my Wife showed up in the Mini Van and we all went to Wendys to eat while I waited. Picked up the truck just as the shop was closing, paid the bill and drove home. I went to Dave's to show off my new Rubber and I noticed that my Rims, all 4 of them, had a ring scratched around the lip all the way around. I bought these rims (Devinos) from these guys three or so years ago at the same time I bought my Deans, and have taken real good care of them, just getting minor scatches from going through brush. I also have had wheel weights fall off of them in just the hour since I picked it up. I am going back there this afternoon to talk to them. Just wondering how hard I should be on this, or what I should ask from them in return for damaging my once slick looking rims? The pictures below show the (Milk Mustache) ring in the clearcoat of the rims. Sorry about the dirt on the wheels and the quality of the pics as the lighting was poor.

Attachments

• Rim Damage 001.jpg
    Rim Damage 001.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Rim Damage 002.jpg
    Rim Damage 002.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 68

JackKeslerCustoms

I don't know where in Idaho, but you can have them re coated, and it is not that expensive, (Roughly $85 per wheel), your tire store should know. Because there was previous scratches on them, If it was an insurance claim, they would back charge you what they call Betterment. They are responsible for they damage they caused, but there is no way to fix them without bettering the condition that they were in when they got them. I'd say it's fair to split it which would be a 50% betterment, if you want them repaired. If not I think it would bee fair for them to give you store credit for the approximate amount of their portion of the repair or something like that. Most places I know would do everything they can, bend over backwards to make it right with you, as long as you are reasonable about it.

Just talked to the manager by phone. He asked me to come by after I get off work and he would get it figured out. I have had good and bad experience with these guys so I am hopefull that it will go well. I am not looking for new rims or anything like that. I just want what they did fixed. It just makes me mad that they could mount them when I bought them, and every time I have had a flat repair without damaging them and yesterday BOOM!

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Just talked to the manager by phone. He asked me to come by after I get off work and he would get it figured out. I have had good and bad experience with these guys so I am hopefull that it will go well. I am not looking for new rims or anything like that. I just want what they did fixed. It just makes me mad that they could mount them when I bought them, and every time I have had a flat repair without damaging them and yesterday BOOM!

It's because the tire guy forgot to put the plastic sleeve on that is designed to prevent this very thing.

Looks like this (the white part) or some variation of it.
ESCO_TBRE_70200.jpg

Last edited:
Well, went by there yesterday afternoon after work. They took about 15 minutes trying to polish the scratches out. When that did not work they told me to go inside and pick out my new rims free of charge. I guess I could have got somthing newer in style but I like what I have so they ordered four new ones and they will be here monday. They did me right and with nary a fuss. I will continue to give them my business.

I will give them props. The name of the place as some of you might have guessed is Les Schwab. Sometimes you gotta shop their prices (I checked 4 wheelparts and they were priced at 282 each), I paid 263 each for my 285-75-16 Toyo MT's. The customer service keeps me coming back.

Had one of the employees that messed the rims up in the first place get on planet and mouth off obout the whole thing. Mind you the last post on the thread is a month old. This is what he had to say after everting was cleared up.

"thats right those wheels i ordered are still waiting for you but i see you bought a new pickup thanks any way for mentioning our flaws hopefullly all of our dead weight is going away now."

He thinks I am dead weight. Here is my response.

"See previous post where I gave Les Schwab Props for fixing the issue quickly, and Mark fixed me up when I decided to trade the truck off anyway. Jumping on the bandwagon late and dogging on me for telling the truth after everthing is happy and I said I was happy does not look good upon you. You Sir are the dead weight!

I will be sure to let Mark know how you feel about me and refer to me in public away from work. "

Is this guy acting crazy or am I reading too much into it?

so you never went back and had them switch out the wheels for the new ones? I'm confused.:confused:

My chevy died and I traded it off on a dodge. I talked with the Manager of the shop and told him to keep the wheels they ordered to replace the damaged ones. Everything was happy till this guy opened his mouth and called me dead weight.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
You're complaining about the guy on an open forum, for complaining about you on an open forum.. hhmm..

kidding, I see your point. Just forward his comments onto the store manager and be done with it.