Tires Locked Up!!!

Thoryota

Hey does any one know what might be wrong with my 1994 Toyota pickup v6? When i bought the truck i thought nothing was wrong with it... and as far as i knew and know nothing was but over the past couple of days my truck wheels have starded to lock up for no reason...its like the brakes will randomly aply them selfs at no certian times... the e brake is off and the truck is in neutral... if any one knwos what i might be able to do or what is wrong please email me at mxracer_419@hotmail.com

notajeep

Just me
I assume that you mean the rear tires... right? Have you checked to see if there is any gear oil in the diff? Is the proportioning (sp) valve in working order and connected?

KToy

teeth missing on the ring gear ( worst case scenario)

parkiing brake cable is stuck in the drums.

or your driveline is binding perhaps.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I'm guessing that it's the ring and pinion in your rear axle. Take out the third member and see.

way2nosty

I had a 12 bolt with a bad wheel bearing and a limited slip that would do that. Took forever to figure out what it was, only one tire has to lock up.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Oil on the brake pads will do that too. Plus that is an easy one to check. If brake fluid is leaking out, or an axle seal is leaking you will find that as you apply the brakes you will get a wheel to lock up as you apply the brake.

shortstraw8

Just get allot of brake-kleen and go nuts on all of it.
Take your drums off and spray the crap out of the setup if there is any oil it will clean it off check to see if your wheel cylinders are good the were like $10 for my jeep and easy to replace I would use like a can of spray a side.

Then take out the third member and doe the same see if anything is wrong in their.

devilbikerdude

i just talked to him and he said that its not in 4 wheel drive and all 4 wheels are locking up,(they jacked it up and tried to turn all the wheels but none of them turned) i though it might be something wrong with the brake fluid what do you guys think?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
if it is all the wheels locked up at once it has to be something like the t-case or transmission. If you get a wheel to lock up as you come up to a red light, or while going around a corner I would say brake problem.

One easy test is to just drop the drivelines and see if the wheels are truly locked up, or if it is in the drivetrain somewhere.

broncodan

For Your Viewing Pleasure
rusted said:
if it is all the wheels locked up at once it has to be something like the t-case or transmission. If you get a wheel to lock up as you come up to a red light, or while going around a corner I would say brake problem.

One easy test is to just drop the drivelines and see if the wheels are truly locked up, or if it is in the drivetrain somewhere.

I agree with Rusted. Dropping the drivelines is a quick and easy way to determine if the problem is in the drivetrain. That is absolutely bizzare. :confused:

DToy

devilbikerdude said:
i just talked to him and he said that its not in 4 wheel drive and all 4 wheels are locking up,(they jacked it up and tried to turn all the wheels but none of them turned) i though it might be something wrong with the brake fluid what do you guys think?

So it's not in 4 wheel drive? Is the brake pedal sticking? Does the truck have hubs? Are they unlocked? If so then it would have to be a brake problem.

Thoryota

we still dont know what is wrong, its something wrong with all four brakes, it ussually happens when i go arround a corner, are thinking some of the brake lines are twisted in the capilers thanks for all your ideas

toyota crawlin

If all 4 are locking up it has to in 4wd.. there is no way the brakes would do that by them self..? most of the trucks that year came with no hubs.. so it sounds like you might have jacked up the ring gear or the spider gears in the ifs front end?? so start by takein the front drive line off and see if that works. If not try the rear.. ;)