Titan vs. F-150 questions

crawldaddy

I’m looking at getting a ½ ton truck and have narrowed it down to 2 trucks. Both have the same mileage, price, and features. I’m curious what others have experienced with both trucks and any pros vs. cons that others have experienced. I’m looking at a 2004 Nissan Titan and a 2004 Ford F-150. Both have 100,000 miles, 4 wheel drive, 4 doors, price and in great condition. I like the size of the Ford but after driving the Titan I’m leaning towards the Titan. I’ve heard that the tranny might be a concern in the Ford and I’ve heard about the rear axle is a concern in the Titan. I might tow my CJ7 to Moab on an occasion but will mostly be driving to work and back. We are looking at getting an 18-19ft Boat next summer so it will haul that to the lake weekly I hope. I’d buy a ¾ ton if I could afford it so Im hoping to just hear about these 2 trucks.
Thoughts………

RockChucker

i don't know much about the trucks, but my parents have a 19 foot bayliner they are looking to sell. it an '88 capri 1950 with the 5.0L v8. pm me for more details if you are interested.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I towed my cj7 to delta one time and also to Moab once with my brothers 04 Titan. I loved every mile of it. I thought it towed great for a half ton. I'm not sure on the fords motor, but the Titan has plenty of motor for towing a Jeep around. As I understood it, the titans rear end needs a pretty extensive break in when towing. As the one you are looking at has 100k miles, I'm sure it's very broken in.
On a side note, I just got an 04 Armada a few months ago for $100! I had to swap out the motor in it, but I'm pretty happy with it. It's just the same as the Titan, but without a bed. I plan to use it to tow my Heep around when it's ready. It's rated at 9000 pounds towing!

99TJ

My parents haul a 27.5 foot fifth wheel with their 2004 F-150. It has worked great and they've had few problems with it. almost 150K on it now.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I have a 2010 F-150, and no complaints (other than the price) so far.

I had to air bag it, to handle the weight of the JK on a trailer, but I'm sure the Nissan would be no different. I bought it for the kick ass interior.

If youe decide in the Ferd (I'm a Chevy guy), look at the diff tag on the anything you look at. The 3.55's suck for towing, Get a truck with 3.73's and I think you'll be happy.

crawldaddy

The Nissan is French... just sayin'

All the better to eat my freedom fries in:)

I have a 2010 F-150, and no complaints (other than the price) so far.

I had to air bag it, to handle the weight of the JK on a trailer, but I'm sure the Nissan would be no different. I bought it for the kick ass interior.

If you decide in the Ferd (I'm a Chevy guy), look at the diff tag on the anything you look at. The 3.55's suck for towing, Get a truck with 3.73's and I think you'll be happy.

I had a 2011 rental for a month and loved it. But like you mentioned I don't like the price. Hence I'm looking at a 100,000 mile truck. That's good to know about the gearing. I hadn't thought of that at all as I have looked.

OREGON85

from OREGON
A co-work had a Titan from about that era. I was told when purchased it got 14mpg, and over the course of a year it went down to 6-7. He had it into the dealer monthly and they never could figure it out so he sold it.

muleskinner

My company truck is a 2007 Titan. I tow an 8'x16' enclosed trailer from Stansbury park to Beaver and back every week. The worst mileage I have ever got is 7.4mpg towing the loaded trailer (6000-7000lb) with a head wind most of the way. I usually average around 10mpg towing.

When I'm empty I average around 15mpg. I have got as high as 17mpg once, and 16mpg a few times, but 15 is the norm. I drive 1000 miles a week.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Titan. I have been really surprised at what a good little truck it is.

One more thing, I always drive 80+ mph so you may get better mileage than me.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I usually don't subscribe to hearsay but I've been told the titan has the underpinnings (chassis of the older f150) I have a redneck friend who installs lift kits at Jays car care and he swears up and down that the older f150 lift kits fit the titan and vice versa. So id imagine that's why the trucks feel similar.
That titan motor is nice but the rear end is garbage. D44 rear in a half ton that you plan on towing with? No thanks.
Although it might be the best of both worlds if you found a f150 sterling 9.75 rear end to swap into it. It's the correct width, 6lug bolt pattern, discs and should come in the same gear ratios.
(I was thinking about writing a "what if" thread called "Titan for Towin," last week but ran out of time so it's funny you posted this up).

Unstuck: As far as the Armada its an independent rear with coil springs (like a new expedition) so I'd plan on airbagging it if you are going to put some tongue weight on it. I don't know much about the rear center section on those but it looks bigger than the titan 44.

Oh and the very first thing I'd do is swap 4.10's into it or try to find one with 3.73s and live with it. That'd be the best thing for mileage and power for towing.

Last edited:

rholbrook

I had a 2008 F150 Super Crew with the medium bed.
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?p=551268#post551268

I normally order my vehicles to get what I want but I was in a rush for a truck and pulled this off the lot. I thought I would be okay without the lower gears but after I put these bigger tires and wheels it robbed a lot of power so I chipped it, cat back exhaust and intake snorkel. These all helped a lot but if I had ordered it I would have opted for 3.73 gears versus the 3.55 that came in it. I loved the way it road, drove and pulled. It would pull my TJ and trailer up Spanish Fork to Moab without breaking a sweat. I never had any issues with it in the 55K miles I put on it.

One of my good friends has a Titan. He drove the hell out of it and only put brakes and tires on it along with oil changes. At about 170K miles he had to put a transmission in it.

Can you really buy a bad truck any more? I really think the last decade has been the decade of the truck.

The Titan feels like it has more pep from the seat of your pants. The F150 just seems to pull and runs deceivingly well.

I really dont think either truck is a bad choice.

Last edited:

YOUKNOW

I had a 2008 F150 Super Crew with the medium bed.
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?p=551268#post551268

I normally order my vehicles to get what I want but I was in a rush for a truck and pulled this off the lot. I thought I would be okay without the lower gears but after I put these bigger tires and wheels it robbed a lot of power so I chipped it, cat back exhaust and intake snorkel. These all helped a lot but if I had ordered it I would have opted for 3.73 gears versus the 3.55 that came in it. I loved the way it road, drove and pulled. It would pull my TJ and trailer up Spanish Fork to Moab without breaking a sweat. I never had any issues with it in the 55K miles I put on it.

One of my good friends has a Titan. He drove the hell out of it and only put brakes and tires on it along with oil changes. At about 170K miles he had to put a transmission in it.

Can you really buy a bad truck any more? I really think the last decade has been the decade of the truck.

The Titan feels like it has more pep from the seat of your pants. The F150 just seems to pull and runs deceivingly well.

I really dont thing either truck is a bad choice.

:nuff said:

crawldaddy

:nuff said:

Agreed its hard to go wrong any more. After driving both I found that I liked the Titan better and the price is right. Everything was tight in the suspension and steering, it had no squeaks or rattles and my family liked the interior a lot better. Ive talked to 3 people that tow 26 foot campers and 22 foot boats to Lake Powell every year and have never had any problems.

Although it might be the best of both worlds if you found a f150 sterling 9.75 rear end to swap into it. It's the correct width, 6lug bolt pattern, discs and should come in the same gear ratios.
(I was thinking about writing a "what if" thread called "Titan for Towin," last week but ran out of time so it's funny you posted this up).

towing.

Ive wondered the same thing, even looking around online no one offers an upgraded axle. You would think that with as many axle failures as the web claims that some one would step up with a drop in replacement axle.

YOUKNOW

I have seen both trucks in action, and have been very impressed with both. I saw a lifted F-150 pulling a 30ft Weekend Warrior trailer 80+MPH on the highway from Indio to Glamis. I have an old friend who owns a Titan that works for Magic Powerboats and pulls the biggest boat (34ft) with ease. I do not think that towing your CJ will be a problem. Granted these two trucks are not modern diesels, so your uphill speeds will probably suffer a little. But for mostly work and back, I like the choices.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
im not a huge fan of the frames on the F150s, they seem to bend rather easily when involved in an accident so i cant imagine they would stand up to the abuse of pulling a load alot

ricsrx

I don't know much about either truck other than my little brother who shaves his body hair, wares spandex and rides bicycles bought the Nissan .

rondo

rondo
I loved my 2wd Titan and kept it to 80k miles; pulled my jeep to moab effortlessly at 10mpg. Plenty of engine and no trouble with the rear axle. Best mileage i could get out of it was 20 though but 19 consistently. Oil changes were a breeze and it as smartly designed to service. I recently bought a new chev 5.3L 1/2 ton 4x4 and i'm getting 21mpg. It tows ok but doesn't have the power of the titan. I prefered the nissan but enjoy the better mileage. Changing oil in the Chev blows because it gets all over the place.

crawldaddy

Thanks for all of the feedback, I knew there would be some real world experience on here. I went to buy the Ford and ended up purchasing a titan. Rear factory locker, 4 door for the kids, leveling kit, BFG AT, tow package, updated rear axle. After driving both my whole family liked the Titan better. Since I only drive 2 miles to work each day I'm not to worried about MPG. Though I think the Ford was with in 1-2 MPG for the same year.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Unstuck: As far as the Armada its an independent rear with coil springs (like a new expedition) so I'd plan on airbagging it if you are going to put some tongue weight on it. I don't know much about the rear center section on those but it looks bigger than the titan 44.

I kind of lucked out that way. I have a very rare "off road" edition Armada. It comes with an auto leveling system for the rear end. Granted it's not as good as overload bags, but it helps. It also came with the hd tow package. I think those items along with a wd hitch and brake controller and I should be good. I hope to pick up a superlight toy hauler in the 20 to 24 foot range. Loaded I hope to be at or under 7k. Then with my family and junk in the Mada, I hope to be good to go. I've read of plenty of other doing it and loving it. For now, it's a pipe dream.