Title questions

Rock Taco

So as I am making headway on my project I have been thinking about how to go about getting a title for it here in Utah. I have looked on DMV.org and Utah.gov but don't really find anything that fits my situation. I am hoping some of you have experienced something like this in the past. So let me give you a little back ground.

I have a clean title from California but I rolled my Tacoma in Nevada playing in the sand dunes while living in California. The roll was never reported to the DMV and was just registered as a non operated vehicle. The frame is still the original 99' frame but the body was changed. I bought a 97' body from another non salvaged truck (the buyer kept his dash VIN plate) and gave me a bill of sale. The 97' still has the door jamb sticker with the original VIN number. I have my original 99' vin plate from the windshield that I have thought of putting on the 97' cab and removing the sticker and trying my luck but don't want to cause a bigger issue. I also still have the door jamb VIN sticker from the 99' (it's attached to the sheet metal still) So I'm just wondering what I will have to do to get a title for it I would prefer to get a clean title if possible but would settle for a rebuilt title if I have to.

Any one one had to do this before?

Bart

If the seller of the 97 kept the title I don't think I'd try to use that VIN. The only way I could see it happening would be to use your 99 VIN plate, and then remove the door sticker of the 97. You were the original owner so I don't think they'll give you much hassle. I'm not even sure they'd do a VIN check because you're just changing states of ownership, but if they do you've got the correct plate.

Rock Taco

I have also read about them issuing a new VIN and putting a new sticker on the door jamb. But I hope it works out like Bart said!

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
If the frame has a Vin number on it as a 99 then I would remove all other vin numbers and fill out a Utah title request form. Have a local Police man come verify the Vin on the frame and take that to the DMV.