Title transfer questions...

Lka1988

poor college student
For Christmas, my dad decided to sign the Cruiser over to me. Yes!

Anyway, the title has been lost for some time, so we filled out an application for a duplicate title. My name is in the "New Owner" section :greg:

I'm curious as to what needs to be done now... Go to the DMV and get new title, then what? Do I need safety/IM, pay taxes, or what? I'm very confused....

ricsrx

Because its family i would just wait untill the tags need to be renewed, then do the title change and pay the assosiated taxes and fees.

U

unltd1

As far as paying taxes on the title, I had to go through this in a roundabout way...

My ex left me with my jeep when we divorced, but the title was in both of our names. So, when I went to the DMV, I had them change it to "or" instead of "and" between our names. Then, I went back after I got my new title, and had them just take his name off, so it was just in my name only. That way, I didn't have to pay taxes as if it were a purchase. My stepdad told me to do it that way, and it worked great.

Maybe your dad could put the title in both of your names, and put the word "or" between them. Then, you could go back and just have his name taken off....if you haven't already put your application in....

I'm not sure if your situation is the same, but maybe this will help...

rholbrook

as far as paying taxes on the title, i had to go through this in a roundabout way...

My ex left me with my jeep when we divorced, but the title was in both of our names. So, when i went to the dmv, i had them change it to "or" instead of "and" between our names. Then, i went back after i got my new title, and had them just take his name off, so it was just in my name only. That way, i didn't have to pay taxes as if it were a purchase. My stepdad told me to do it that way, and it worked great.

Maybe your dad could put the title in both of your names, and put the word "or" between them. Then, you could go back and just have his name taken off....if you haven't already put your application in....

I'm not sure if your situation is the same, but maybe this will help...

x2