tj axles

i was told that a cherokee front axle will bolt right under a tj. i was wondering does anyone know if a grand cherokee front and rear bolt right in under the tj too? thanks

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Depends on the year of Grand. ZJ's front axles will bolt right in, the rear is a bit different though. WJ's are different all around.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
rears are actually pretty different between a ZJ and a TJ... can't remember if the control arm and track bar brackets are the same, but the spring pads are quite a bit different.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
what exactly are you looking for in the swap? It's not much of a strength gain, i would stay away from the XJ front axles but the ZJ's are a little better. WHy not swap in a D44 or D60 and never worry again, well the D44 will have to be built a little but not as much as a D30 or D35, i guess it all depends on what you can afford

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
rears are actually pretty different between a ZJ and a TJ... can't remember if the control arm and track bar brackets are the same, but the spring pads are quite a bit different.

Lower control arm mounts are pretty close, upper arms and track bar brackets are different spots compared to a TJ.

what exactly are you looking for in the swap? It's not much of a strength gain, i would stay away from the XJ front axles but the ZJ's are a little better. WHy not swap in a D44 or D60 and never worry again, well the D44 will have to be built a little but not as much as a D30 or D35, i guess it all depends on what you can afford

Most XJ D30 will be stronger than most ZJ 30's because they're high pinion. Plus, a lot of ZJ axles have the CV-jointed shafts which don't seem to be as strong as a steering U-joint.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Most XJ D30 will be stronger than most ZJ 30's because they're high pinion. Plus, a lot of ZJ axles have the CV-jointed shafts which don't seem to be as strong as a steering U-joint.

^this
but, you can get the ujointed shafts out of one with abs and they have the bigger 297/760 joints just like the tj's :cool:

what would anyone ever say the zj axles are better? :ugh:
xj axles are the best (yeah it's weird to use positive words to describe a 30) cause they have hp, u-joints and most don't have the vac disco

iamsparticus

My bad i was thinking the XJ's have a low pinion and the ZJ's had the high pinion, scratch that and reverse it but we still don't know why he wants to swap them, maybe his axle just blew up?

i am just looking for easiest/cheapest axle option since its rock'n the jack stands on all four corners. want to get something safe enough together so i can rock it up to safety and emissions. was hoping that i could strip an xj or zj and get it titled.

iamsparticus

In that case i would go with what ever axle require the least amount of time and money to swap in, ZJ ones sound like the ticket

iamsparticus

yeah but he needs the rear i thought too? The XJ oviously wouldnt work for the rear, so would a ZJ rear axle bolt right in? If you want i think theres a TJ with both front and rear axles sitting at one of the junk yards here

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Nothing will be a simple bolt-in for the rear axle. (other than another TJ axle obviously)