Jeep TJ Fuel Pump Comparison Question

RockChucker

Here's the story, I'm getting ready to swap a GM 5.3 into my TJ here in the next month or two. Novak makes a fuel regulator bypass that will allow the fuel pressure to jump to the required ~ 60 psi for the 5.3. However, an 05 or 06 TJ fuel pump already puts out about 60 psi. I'm thinking I would rather go that route. The cost isn't too different, and would actually be significantly less if I find a used pump from a wrecked Jeep or the like.

Here is my question. I know they changed the fuel tanks in the TJ's. Mine is a 97. Will the 05 or 06 pump fit in my tank or do I need the newer tank too? I'm pretty sure the physical dimensions of the tank are the same, my only concern really is the hole. Are they the same size between the 2 tanks? I ask because Genright offers 2 versions of their TJ tanks. One is 97-04 and the other is 05-06. The hole looks the same to me, but the threads on the 05 and 06 tank are much finer. Anybody know?

Thanks.

RockChucker

TJ fuel pumps have internal pressure regulators. 05-06 are regulated around 60 psi, while 97-04's are regulated to 49 psi. the Novak deal either eliminates or bypasses the regulator on the older TJ fuel pumps and then regulates it to around 60 psi.

thenag

Find a place that sells OEM jeep parts look up the fuel tanks see if they have a different part #.

I am betting that they are different, just because jeep wouldn't make it that easy on you...

Nathan

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
TJ fuel pumps have internal pressure regulators. 05-06 are regulated around 60 psi

The 5.3l is internally regulated too I believe, the entire feed line coming out of the tank is essentially the "fuel rail" and is held at a constant 4bar (58psi). You'll have to adjust the injector slope in the tuning since fuel pressure doesn't regulate based on manifold pressure.