TJ Gas Mileage

chans

I've been looking at some TJ Wranglers now that they are cheaper in price since the release of the JKs and wondering what kind of gas mileage people get with 35" mud tires and either 4.10, 4.56, 4.88 gears? Mainly looking at the I6 engine and will that be enough power to turn 35" tires with 4.10 gears? Thanks

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
the girlfriend has an 04 tj with 32 inch tires and the gears are 3.07 and she gets about 15-17 mpg... it has the 4.0 in it...

Elkhunter96

I have a 33 inch tires on my TJ with 4.10 gears. I usually get anywhere from 15-18 mpg with the 4.0. But I have a K&N, high flow exhaust manifold etc. on the jeep which has helped with the ponies a little bit

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I'v got 4.88's, AOD, 35" MTR's, and I6. 14mpg. Anything higher geared will be a gutless pig. Even at 4.88, power is marginal at best.

RockChucker

i usually get somewhere around 12 or 13 with 35's and 3.73's. i have the 4.0 and a manual tranny. i'm most likely planning on 4.56's for the axles when i can afford it. this is what my dad has and he averages 18 or 19 mpg on the freeway and has even gotten 23 on the way to moab! of course, the tailwind did help, but his jeep has good power and he rarely downshifts for hills and headwinds are no problem.

chans

i usually get somewhere around 12 or 13 with 35's and 3.73's. i have the 4.0 and a manual tranny. i'm most likely planning on 4.56's for the axles when i can afford it. this is what my dad has and he averages 18 or 19 mpg on the freeway and has even gotten 23 on the way to moab! of course, the tailwind did help, but his jeep has good power and he rarely downshifts for hills and headwinds are no problem.

4.56 or 4.88 sounds like the way to go. Thanks for all the replies. Your Dad's Jeep has 35" tires also?

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
35" mtrs, 4.56s, 12-13mpg around town, 17 down to moab, and 14 back with a crazy headwind

with the 4.0

RKCRWLR

35 Toyos, 5.13s, 6 speed, 4.0L with Edge chip, winch, ARB bumper and 2 blitz cans, etc (ie its heavy)... 14 mpg. Got the same when it was stock.