TJ grill and hood on a YJ?

LonnieC

So I have been trying to figure out just what all would have to be done to put a TJ grill and hood on my YJ tub I know that the some of the body lines are a little different but im not afraid of that since I pretty good when it comes to body work and stuff... Im just wondering if anyone else has attempted this or has any other knowledgeable advice for me:D I dont know when ill be starting into this project, right now its just an idea

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
just get a big ol' holesaw and take it to the headlight holes :rofl:

sorry i had to... you should consider embracing the square headlights because after all "it's hip to be square" and huey lewis doesn't have any songs about roundness now does he? :D

LonnieC

yeah there is some truth to that but on the same hand it will be fun explaining why "TJ looking Jeep" is running on leafsprings and such....

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
yeah i have always liked yj's more, for whatever reason. i have never and likely will never own either one (i prefer frameless jeeps) but the yj has always been my fav of the two

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I've seen a few write ups on the swap, this one is probably the most thorough I have seen where he used a TJ hood and grill, and other miscellaneous parts. There is also this guy who only used a TJ grill. If you follow through with it, I'd be interested in seeing the after pics.

I considered this when I owned a YJ, but after all was said and done I found it easier to just sell it and buy a TJ :D

1993yj

Personally, based on those images from those 2 write ups, I would not do it. That seems like a lot of work to have body lines that do not match up. With extra body work you could make everything look nice, but that would take a lot of time and money. I would put that extra cash into parts like axles, t-case, whatever else that will add to the performance of your rig.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I put a CJ grill and hood on my YJ. Worked really well. The hood curvature matched the tub and all, just had to thin out the grill first and fab some mounts for the factory radiator and shroud.

The CJ has without a doubt, the best looking grill/hood of any jeep.
It looked a little wierd with the stock squareish YJ fenders so I trimmed them and also used TJ flares.

15rf47n.jpg

4zu7pk.jpg

160tn4l.jpg

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Thats a sad attitude lol. nothing is required, just sit at home and eat and poop, think of how much money and time could be saved.

I actually made money since i already had the hood/grill from my olllld cj, and i sold the YJ hood/grill for $100.
If you're REALLY worried about a few bucks, you can probably find someone for a straight trade.

Last edited:

LonnieC

Well im from moab and the only way im going to attemp this conversion is if i come across some good salvageable parts from the body shops or from M40... Im not going to go out and spend alot of money on it or anything! Plus i have all the time in the world to gather parts

cheepin

Thats a sad attitude lol. nothing is required, just sit at home and eat and poop, think of how much money and time could be saved.

I actually made money since i already had the hood/grill from my olllld cj, and i sold the YJ hood/grill for $100.
If you're REALLY worried about a few bucks, you can probably find someone for a straight trade.
Not a bad attitude.I just don't mind the YJ fronts and everyone has a TJ these days.And I am not afraid of working on my rigs.I have a 70 Jeepster and the current CJ/buggy project.

jdub

Scrambler
I like MBryson's vintage grill on his ?J jeep. I agree on the tj vs yj grill thing. I'd rather have a yj solely for the minority thing. Grills are non performance parts like mentioned above. I would not stress it over drivetrain but a commando grill in a xj would be funny.