TJ oil pan/trans skidplate install

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
After damaging my TJ's oil pan in Delta, I figured it was time to actually install skidplates. :rolleyes: Yes, it would have been a great idea to do that BEFORE the damage, thanks for pointing that out. -_-

So anyway, after installing a brand-new pan, here are the parts: Teraflex bolt-on oil pan skidplate, and since I have a BellyUp skidplate that means I can use the trans skid also. (the oil pan skid is a stand-alone thing, but you are required to have both that and a BellyUp to use the tranny skid)

Pretty simple to install, only minor headaches getting the crud out of the holes on the engine block so I could bolt on the oil pan skid. The instructions say most TJ's will use a 3/8" bolt on both sides, but some models have a 12mm hole on the driver's side. Mine used the 12mm. Put those two bolts in loosely, take out the bottom two bolts from the bellhousing. and pivot the skid up into place. Replace the bolts with the new, longer ones they provide in the kit. Tighten it all down, and the oil pan part is done!

The tranny skid just goes between new oil pan skid, and the BellyUp skid, and bolts on very simply. It uses a little rubber bushing at the front to account for the drivetrain moving around in relation to the Tcase skid. You can choose to orient the bolts facing up or down, I chose down for ease of removal when it's oil change time. It does risk damaging them on rocks, but whatever.

Overall, it was an easy bolt-on install that didn't take very long, and will provide a LOT of peace-of-mind when I hear banging/scraping sounds from underneath. :D

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Said oil pan damage was truly glorious to see. Good idea with the skid plates.

Bart

BTDT, looks like a great skid. I've also taken out the trans pan before. Glad to see they're both covered.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
So, little update here....I just competed in Old School Rock Crawl again, and this one for whatever reason was REALLY hard on my TJ belly. :) I was super-glad to have these skidplates.

First, the oil pan skid. It might be hard to see due to the mud splashes, but there is a pretty decent ding on the lower-right of this picture, and a really nice gouge most the way along the left side. One or both of these could easily have ended my day. (and made me replace the oil pan again)

Second, the trans skid. This one shows a LOT of use, as well as actually being bent the opposite way it started, and one of the welds is broken. I have plenty of room above it since I have a manual trans, so I'll reinforce it as-is and keep rolling with it. I also broke one of the bolts that hold the rubber isolator to the oil pan skid, so I'll replace that.

If you compare this picture of when I originally installed it, to this "after" pic, you can see how much it's changed. Also can see the broken weld. I am not disappointed AT ALL. With as hard as I was hitting my belly on everything last weekend, I could easily have broken a transmission.

Creampuff

$20 says you did most or all of that dropping off the ledge on the backside of 5 that I got hung up on, broke my front driveshaft and timed out. When I came off of it I hit HARD!!! I bet if I had had the transmission skid I would have been able to slide off. Really kicking myself not having the tranny skid. *facepalm*

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm betting most of it was on 7 and 8. Maybe even 1. His descent on 5 actually looked relatively smooth. That's a bummer you broke there, I never heard where it was for sure.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Yep, I'd say 7 and 8 for sure, with maybe a little bit of 4 thrown in for good measure. (since that's where I got extracted with the forklift...) 5 is a straight-enough drop that I most likely rode down on my radius arms rather than the belly stuff.