To 60 or To Not 60

What should go under the Front of my Yota ???

• Chromoly Longfield Axles 27 Spline Super Set

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace the Broken Long w/ One Chromoly Longfield

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RamToy

Wickha Wickha Wa
Hmmm. Been thinking of throwing a D60 under my Toyota. ( P/U 22RE Dual T-cased ) But now with Longfields new 4340/300M Combo set. Im beginning to wonder. Should i just throw some 27 Chromos in there an call it good, maybe some 30 Spliners.... Or just put a D60 under there. What would you guys do ?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
whats the cost of the toy parts?
would you put any additional money into the 60...gears, locker etc?

RamToy

Wickha Wickha Wa
xj_punk said:
whats the cost of the toy parts?
would you put any additional money into the 60...gears, locker etc?

30 Spline Set = $635
27 Spline Set = $585
Single 27 = $205

If i got the 60 i think i would keep the gears stock ( 4.10 ) and put a detroit in it. I wouldnt upgrade the axle shafts unless i had too. My truck is a trail rig only and i tow it everywhere.

Last edited:

RamToy

Wickha Wickha Wa
This is what has me thinking....

torquetestgraph.jpg

With the 30 Spline set i should be as strong as a 60. ( At least in the knuckles ) Just moving the weak point to the ring gears. But will everything else stand up too ?

DToy

RamToy said:
With the 30 Spline set i should be as strong as a 60. ( At least in the knuckles ) Just moving the weak point to the ring gears. But will everything else stand up too ?

The other weak link that you need to think about is the toyota knuckle itself. They are somewhat prone to breakage, especially with fairly large tires and hydro-assist or full-hydro steering. The knuckle studs that attach the steering arms are also prone to breaking (been there, broke that). There is talk that Marlin is going to make knuckles/steering arms with 6 studs instead of 4, but that's just more money to dump into a yota axle. I plan on eventually throwing a 60 under the front of my 'runner, and then my yota axle can go on my wife's 'runner. Do the 60 and then you shouldn't have to worry about breaking the front.

fergusor

I would only run a toy axle if you enjoy working on it every trip. We went through a lot of stock 4.10s. Almost one a trip. With the 60 I havent had any problems.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i bet that chart really helped sales, who made it? the long company? :p

i am thinking every component of a 60 is stronger than the toyota axle. upgrade one thing and make something else the weakpoint... thats how it works right? thats why you try to get something with no weakpoints!

Caleb

I think it comes down to a couple things, are you breaking now and how often if you are? If its not that often then maybe the Longs would be a better choice, I sometimes wish I hadn't gone 60 for a couple reason. Overall weight, clearance, and I never broke my D30, or my D44, and have yet to run my 60 (its been sitting in my projects for quite a while). I always worried about breaking but never did. Now I dont think I will really have to worry much, maybe for the piece of mind it would be nice???