To those of you who conceal carry...

dutchman

KI7KSV
I'm debating on where I want to carry my gun. I know I want a IWB holster (will be ordering form StealthGearUSA), but I'm not sure if I want to draw from the small of my back or from the hip. Looking for thoughts and opinions from you guys that carry. Thanks.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You'll just have to decide where it's comfortable to you. I carry in the small of my back when I pack. Not comfortable in the front or on the side at all. I don't carry ALL the time, but there's usually something pretty close wherever I am.

(this makes me wonder if my upcoming Stealthgearusa holster is adjustable for back carry? I'll have to get with Tyler and see what the story is re: that specific holster)

mbryson

Supporting Member
The holster is the main reason why I'm asking, don't want to order one then not like the position it leaves my gun in.

That's kind of the problem with any holster. I don't know of a store that has all the holsters in stock where you can go and try them out. From what I can tell, you just keep trying until you find something you like. That's likely one of the reasons I don't carry 100% of the time. I haven't found something I like. I purchased the StealthGear because I can give Tyler immediate feedback re: any issues and expect a reasonable response time vs. a company/person I don't know and is not on the Wasatch front.

The IWB style seems to ride higher that I'd like it to. I'm more for actual "concealed" carry than "accessible" carry. With how high some of the IWB style holsters ride, the conceal part seems difficult if you need to have your shirt tucked in for whatever reason.

http://www.stealthgearusa.com/pages/why-stealthgear
CUSTOM MADE ADJUSTABILITY:

StealthGear holsters are designed and built to fit each individual handgun model perfectly. Each holster is built with heavy-duty spring steel retention clips which are fully-adjustable for cant and depth of the weapon and is tuckable. Socket screws on the Kydex shell are fully adjustable for weapon retention.

One of the deciding factors of my purchase along with the above mentioned reasons.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Business idea: a service that ships multiple holsters for your exact firearm for you to test out. When you narrow down what you do and don't like, you can send the holsters back. That way you don't spend $200-300 on holsters that you can't sell (ask me how I know this).

I couldn't stand small of the back, which sucks because I jumped into a custom leather holster for that carry position. I like 4 o'clock IWB with similar to a Stealthgear or Crossbreed. The two anchor points on the belt keep the rig nice and stable. I currently carry on my ankle, and I've come to really like it.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
...I currently carry on my ankle, and I've come to really like it.

Of course that only works when you wear pants, Jason. ;)

I also carry with a leather IWB holster at ~4 o'clock position... I haven't tried many other carry positions, but I like what I've got so far.

maveric

Crawler Collecter
I currently have a Crossbreed IWB for my Glock, and a Sheepdog IWB (similar to the CB) for my M&Pc. The CB is adjustable to move the position of the holster up or down. I had to move mine down about 1/2" from the factory position to make it fit right. I carry in the 4 o'clock position, and I wear it every day. Usually wear jeans and a tucked in t-shirt with no issues.
I did find that I liked the under belt clips (j clips from CB) better than the over the belt metal clips that come on the other brands.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
did small of the back for a couple years. Then got a good holster for the hip, never went back

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I too carry at the 4 o clock position and it's the most comfortable and I can lean any which way without printing any significant amount. With a crossbreed supertuck as well.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I've got a cheap uncle mikes ($15?) belt holster that I wear at about 2 o'clock out side of pants, under shirt. It has always worked really well, but now I'm getting much fatter and it is beginning to rub on my fat self uncomfortably.

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/super_belt_slide_holsters.html

I had to cut out the trigger area and sew it to fit my laser, and I added a leather piece to the retainer strap so the plastic doesn't rub my gun.. It has worked very well for about 5 years now.

I use this one for the times that I can't carry on my hip.. (of course I am not referring to church, as that would be illegal)

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/ankle_holsters.html

I think we all go through SOOO many holsters at first that spending big bucks on one is crazy.. Wait until you know for sure where you want to carry.

SpeedyVic

I have a drawer full of holsters, much like most prople that carry on their person.

I have never carried SOB. The thought of sitting and having to lean back against the gun just never appealed to me. But until recently, I have been carrying a full size 1911 and the thing is a brick! Maybe a different gun would make SOB carry more practical.

I have found that carrying at the 3:30 to 4:00 position to be the most comfortable for me. I most often use a IWB kydex/leather holster (Concealment Solutions in Orem) and can wear it all day without much discomfort. In the colder months, I will carry OWB in a cheap little slider that keeps it tight against my hip.

I have had to draw my gun one time on a person with a knife whom apparently had too much to drink and thought it was a good idea to get behind the wheel of his truck. It was a natuaral and automatic draw, and I wasn't really concious of doing it until I had the gun in my hand. One thing I have come to appreciate about the 4:00 carry, it is reassuring to be able to feel and shield the gun with your arm and elbow. One thing you have to keep in consideration is how you plan on keeping the gun secure against your body in the likely event that an altercation becomes up close and personal. I don't think I would feel that the gun would be as secure in the SOB position.

mbryson

Supporting Member
....I have never carried SOB. The thought of sitting and having to lean back against the gun just never appealed to me. But until recently, I have been carrying a full size 1911 and the thing is a brick! Maybe a different gun would make SOB carry more practical.

Carrying my Kahr, it really doesn't bother me at all in the SOB. A bigger weapon would likely be an issue. One thing I do NOT like about carrying there is that you do expose your weapon if you happened to be working on something. Say loading your rig on a trailer or something.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
SOB is nice if you're walking around, kind of a quirky draw though. I carry jsut behind my hip, as Bryson said in about the 4:00 position.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
I was trained to draw from the 3:00 and have never tried too much else (maybe I should). I have thought about SOB but I read somewhere that it is a very unforgiving place to carry if you should slip and fall on your tailbone (perhaps not as big of a threat in good weather), I would hate to be put out of work, longer, because of a back injury that was exaggerated from having a chunk of steel to land on if I were to trip/slip/fall.

Jeepj667

I also carry at the 3:30-4:00 position. I've found that I like more cant than is typical in a holster. But with my Old Faithful holster I can set the clips to give me the cant I like.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I, too, carry IWB at 3:30-4:00. I bought the Split Decision from High Noon Holsters and have been extremely happy. It was the first and last holster I bought, luckily I didn't have to spend hundreds to find the right one. I carry a Glock 26 and it completely disappears as long as my shirt is long enough, as I have an abnormally long torso.