Shop / Tools Today I want this...tool edition

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
So I own an Icon 3/8 torque wrench and am happy enough with it. It seams consistent and accurate and came with a certificate of accuracy, if that means anything.

How are the rest of the Icon tools? Is there an American made tool that can be purchased in a store these days? If I have to go Chinese maybe Icon is the pick? I still have a snap on truck that I can get tools off of weekly, but I’m looking at rebuilding the home toolbox again. I miss American Craftsman tools.
I've never had a worse ratchet than the old Craftsman. They had 3 teeth, auto reversed at 30ftlbs and were just trash. My Husky from the 90's and current are way better than anything but a Craftsman pro.

DAA

I've got an old Craftsman kind of like that, from a set my wife gave me before we got married, so thirty five years old. But I have some really old ones, that were my Dads, that are over fifty years old, that are still quite nice.

- DAA

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It’s true. Craftsman ratchets were not the smoothest, at least compared to what you can get today. But I could put a 3’ cheater on a 1/2” and not worry about it braking. I have three 1/2” ratchets in my box. One Snap On that gets most of the use and two other old Craftsman. I’ve warrantied the snap on a few times. Never the craftsman.

I really like the old craftsman wrenches. They are the perfect length for me and I really like the feel of them. They don’t slip in my hands like the smooth chrome ones do.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
It’s true. Craftsman ratchets were not the smoothest, at least compared to what you can get today. But I could put a 3’ cheater on a 1/2” and not worry about it braking. I have three 1/2” ratchets in my box. One Snap On that gets most of the use and two other old Craftsman. I’ve warrantied the snap on a few times. Never the craftsman.

I really like the old craftsman wrenches. They are the perfect length for me and I really like the feel of them. They don’t slip in my hands like the smooth chrome ones do.
If you are going to own one Snap on tool, it should be a 3/8 80 tooth ratchet. Second would be a set of Snappy hard handle screw drivers.

Funny you mention Craftsman wrenches. My favorite Craftsman tools are my Pro, long pattern Metric wrenches, that are longer and smooth. Different strokes I guess.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I’ve been a professional mechanic in one form or another my entire career. So I depend on my tools to work well and last. I do like Snap On but am no fan boy. I love snap on ratchets and sockets. Love Cornwell screwdrivers. Love craftsman wrenches. Most of my 3/4” drive sockets are HF, up to about 2 1/2”. They’ve done surprisingly well but I have had to weld a couple that have cracked under heavy impacting. I pretty much only have IR air tools. Mostly snap on pliers but a few Mac and Matco. I hate to say it, but I have a tray of 1/2” Duralast impact sockets that have found their way into my box. I use the 7/8” deep socket daily for removing truck tires. It’s held up great, but the black coating is rubbing off. 😂
As you can see, my tools didn’t all come off a tool truck, so obviously I’m not a very good wrench.

1969honda

Supporting Member
I'm similar to @UNSTUCK, for time as a mechanic, and tool variety. My tools hand tools are all a mix, Ingersoll air tools, all Milwaukee electric, but I have a mix of Snap on, Cornwell, and Matco for various reasons in ratchets, sockets, etc.

Surprising Carlyle impact sockets are what is most used on my service truck at work fit anything I've 3/8" drive. On the 3/4" drive sockets, and any wrenches over about 1-1/4", buy whatever your can afford. They generally hold up as well as the expensive tool truck stuff at a fraction of the price.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Man, I need a set of those thread checkers in the worst way.

And then I need somebody to grab it and sit down in front of this five gallon bucket of random hardware and sort it for me.
I have the first part. The second part is the key that I’m missing.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm about 80% Kobalt hand tools, the convenience of Lowes 1/2 mile away is too much for me to ignore. I feel like they're the most slept on brand out there, Project Farm and Torque Test Channel routinely rates them super high. They're very very good value for the money and lifetime no hassle warranty has me using chrome for impacts the last 10 years without issue.

5-10% some better HF stuff like hammers and snap ring pliers, and some consumables like their cutoff wheels, sand paper and surprisingly their cobalt drill bits have been a success for me. Their pneumatic vacuum bleeder is a winner too.
5-10% Older craftsman punches. ViseGrip brand pliers are great. I enjoy Motion Pro And surprisingly some Tusk specialty tools.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Earlier in the thread we were talking about 1/2 ratchets. For whatever reason, all of my 1/2 stuff really sucks. I bought a 1/2" Craftsman set when we were living in the rental house 4 years ago as I forgot to put a set aside while I didn't have access to my tools. The ratchet that's included is a pile of shit ratchet. I used it again the other day and threw it in the truck for a return.

I had a great customer service lady that let me return the crappy ratchet for a new one. I then exchanged the new crappy ratchet for the 180 tooth version. Not sure if this is much better than the other one? It's $60 so something nust be worth $8 worth of wholesale cost? 17079700101832806003248225735863.jpg

Does anyone have this ratchet and like it or should I just move to a different line?

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Earlier in the thread we were talking about 1/2 ratchets. For whatever reason, all of my 1/2 stuff really bucks. I bought a 1/2" Craftsman set when we were living in the rental house 4 years ago as I forgot to put a set aside whole I didn't have access to my tools. That's a pile utter shit ratchet. I used it the other day and threw it in the truck for a return.

I had a great customer service lady that let me return the scrappy ratchet for a new one. I then exchanged the new scrappy ratchet for the 180 tooth version. Not sure if this is much better than the other one? It's $60 so something nust be worth $8 worth of wholesale cost? View attachment 169760

Does anyone have this ratchet and like it or should I just move to a different line?
Craftsman ratchets make mediocre hammers and that is their best use.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Jack showed me a post about this and it has broken parts before they have even hit the snow. There is no way that thing can hold up to the stresses of tracks.
I was wondering about this. If they haven’t added portals, they should. Otherwise all the parts that were designed to handle the power with a little bit of rubber touching the ground are going to be SUPER pissed about that new contact patch.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I was wondering about this. If they haven’t added portals, they should. Otherwise all the parts that were designed to handle the power with a little bit of rubber touching the ground are going to be SUPER pissed about that new contact patch.
The pic when I looked at it seemed to be a control arm mount pulling apart. It was inboard of the spindle/hub