Took the plunge into I-Phone

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
My oldfashioned cell phone finally crashed, I struggled with the idea to just go with a prepaid tracfone or something (I am not that "techy", and don't talk that much on the phone), but my wife won the argument (I'll blame it on her) and we both have new I-Phone4's (not 4S's). This is my first smartphone.

My question is what apps (free ones) should I put on it? What does everyone have? I have put on I heart radio, flashlight, and scriptures. What else (besides games)?

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
some Apps that I like: Pandora (online radio), Instagram (photo filter/sharing), Gas Buddy (cheap gas finder), Sound Hound (identifies song names/lyrics), Bump (quick and easy for sharing stuff between phones)

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
Around me app
Facebook ( it really sucks!)
Chase app
And a gps app but I have yet to find a good one..

I phones are pretty simple to use but the auto predict sucks...and goes really slow and freaks out sometimes...least on my 3GS. I'll be gettin the phone you have when I stop spending money on the bronco and upgrade lol

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I use:
MyAT&T
Chase
Mountain America Credit Union
MotionX GPS (for trails)
HeyTell (think walkie-talkie)
MMA Junkie (check it at least twice a day)
IMDB
Gospel Library
and a handful of games. i got over the whole "get every free game and app out there" phase pretty fast. I actually have everything on one screen cause i just like it that way.

my 3GS has never had any problems, it's never even locked-up on me. i love it cause it just plain works and it was $50

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Find what you like by trial and error. I actually have very few apps on my iPhone or iPad and I'm THE Apple devotee here on RME (according to some people). The ones that I do have I've found through trying many different ones and finally settleing on ones that I liked. Often that meant using the free one for a bit and then finally dropping that $1.99 to get the full version. One example is WeatherBug. The free app is great, but the paid one is just a little better and no ads. Totally worth the plunge.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
I use:
MyAT&T
Chase
Mountain America Credit Union
MotionX GPS (for trails)
HeyTell (think walkie-talkie)
MMA Junkie (check it at least twice a day)
IMDB
Gospel Library
and a handful of games. i got over the whole "get every free game and app out there" phase pretty fast. I actually have everything on one screen cause i just like it that way.

my 3GS has never had any problems, it's never even locked-up on me. i love it cause it just plain works and it was $50

I have the same gps app, what trails dose it work on and how dose it work?
I can hardly get directions to houses. Lol

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I some that I have:

-conversion table (gal to liter, metric to standard etc.) app.
-5.0 Radio (free police scanner)
-KSL
-Google maps
-And of course ANGRY BIRDS!!!!!! :D

There's also a bunch for kids. They come in handy in waiting rooms and airplane rides and such...

N-Smooth

I have the same gps app, what trails dose it work on and how dose it work?
I can hardly get directions to houses. Lol

i use it for trails only. i download gpx files on my pc (cause it's easier) and email them to myself, open them on my iphone and then click on "open in motionx." i have a bunch of StG trails and even some hard-to-find moab trails like the pickle and mashed potato. i have been impressed with motionx. i would have been screwed without it on the StG trails.
i have had good luck with the standard maps app for navigation and i have a garmin nuvi when i feel like using it.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I can't wait until the iphone 5 comes out so all of the hipsters can brag about their new phone that is 4g....even though other phones have been faster, thinner, lighter, brighter, and 4g for almost 3 years. Apple is a brilliant study in marketing.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I can't wait until the iphone 5 comes out so all of the hipsters can brag about their new phone that is 4g....even though other phones have been faster, thinner, lighter, brighter, and 4g for almost 3 years. Apple is a brilliant study in marketing.

Don't forget that the "4G" all these phones purport to have is actually a myth. A clever bit of marketing. No phone on the market right now meets actual 4G standards.

N-Smooth

they all have pros and cons. my friends all have droids and i really like some things about them and really hate some things about them(like the multiple buttons haha). when my contract is up i will figure out what phone i like most or if i even care to get a new one.
i don't get the 4G thing but then again my attitude with most tech stuff is that i just want stuff to work. i'm not looking for the fastest computer, best sound system, 3d tv, xbox kinect etc.
not that there is anything wrong with being into that stuff, i just can't force myself to care and i'd rather spend money on jeep trips

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
If you want it to "just work", always buy Apple. :D

That is unless you want to make a call...or download something quickly. While the 4g phones may not hit the speeds they claim, I promise my 4g is MUCH faster than your 3g.

We had multiple Apple hard drives at my old work that were all bad...and the Apple router at my house almost never worked and had to be reset multiple times daily. The Belkin that replaced it has worked flawlessly since minute one.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
That is unless you want to make a call...or download something quickly. While the 4g phones may not hit the speeds they claim, I promise my 4g is MUCH faster than your 3g.

We had multiple Apple hard drives at my old work that were all bad...and the Apple router at my house almost never worked and had to be reset multiple times daily. The Belkin that replaced it has worked flawlessly since minute one.

So when did this thread change from a what app to get thread to a my c0ck is bigger and my daddy can beat up your daddy thread...?:confused::rofl::confused:

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
If not for the iPhone, you'd still be rockin' the cutting edge Razor flip phone. Anything anyone feels it better than an Apple product wouldn't be if not for Apple.

Sent from Windows 95 OS

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

Its all about network availability. Nine out of ten times the early iPhones having call issues was boiled down to being a problem with the AT&T network, not the device itself. And yes, the "4G" phones can have faster download times than 3G phones if the network has bandwidth available for them. Personally, I download so few large files when I'm on a cell network that its a non-issue for me.

I have no problems with the Android phones, I actually like many of them and the interface is very nice and flexible. That said, the flawless intigration with all my other devices is what makes the iPhone the ideal device for me.

How old were the drives? How much were they used? Wear and tear has an effect on traditional drives. What brand where the drives? I know back in the G5 days Seagate had a run of bad drives that caused Apple to issue a recall.
With your Airport, you are the minority. I've set up probably a hundred Airports over the years and rarely had an issue with the router itself. Setting being wrong, sure. Problems with windoze computers not connecting, usually due to settings, sure. But if set up right, rarely, rarely have I ever had a problem with an Airport. My Airport Extreme has been running constantly with no problems for well over two years now. Only gets shut down if there is a power outage or a system update.

There will always be people who have issues, but Apple has built a reputation of building solid, reliable devices. And despite what people think, Apple is rarely the pioneer with technology, rather they are the refiner. There isn't a 4G iPhone yet, because Apple doesn't feel that they can build one that will meet their standards. When they finally do, it will be a true 4G phone and it will become the gold standard that every other manufacture tries to emulate. Just like every other device they have built since the original iMac in 1997.