Total Loss of Power

00Buck

89 Burb- I thought it was bad gas but it's not.

Replaced headgasket a few months ago. Ran smooth then got a little ruff so I replaced the fuel filter and added some heet and injector cleaner. Ran better for a few days. Adjusted the timing with the EST disconnected per instructions.

The problem has gotten worse over the last few days. The burb is now idling really ruff and has very little power like it is missing or the timing is off. Took it on the freeway this weekend had to floor it just to stay at 55 mph. Even going up small little hills it bogs down. The oil pressure is good and the temp is normal. Seems to do a lot better once I hit 65 mph. Any suggestions?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I have a pressure guage you are welcome to borrow, you may to a compresson check to make sure everything is where it should be.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Well you can check for a temperature rise as it goes through the cat- meaning the after cat outlet will be something like 30 degress hotter because of the chemical reaction or just hit it and see if the cat rattles. But most places like master muffler will check for free if you trust them-_-

78mitsu

loosen the bolts on the bottom of the headers and drive it for 10 minutes. it will tell you if it's something in the exhaust.

00Buck

Well you can check for a temperature rise as it goes through the cat- meaning the after cat outlet will be something like 30 degress hotter because of the chemical reaction or just hit it and see if the cat rattles. But most places like master muffler will check for free if you trust them-_-

Using a Infared Temp Widget here are the numbers that I got.
Engine was 160
Exhaust manifold right out of the block 450
Radiator-just curious 165 (hotter than the engine???)
Exhaust right before the cat 180
Cat 440
Muffler was 360, about a foot away from the exhaust
End of tailpipe 140

next I am going to detach the manifold from the cat and see if that makes a difference. Double checked the timing and it was set at 0*- correct

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Thats a huge diffrence between the inlet and the cat i thikn it was suppose to be just 30-40 I bet it's clogged and building up so much heat;)