tough suspension problem

evergreen 85toy

Hey, I've got an 85 pickup with a 3in. body lift and 33 inch bfg all terrains. I am in the midst of trying to build a mildly capable rig that's equally at home on the trail as loading up for work. So here's the problem. I'd like to add about 2-3 inches of lift to the suspension in some way. Unlike most people, I'm not looking for an abnormal amount of articulation. Instead, I need the clearance and the ability to load the bed up with a load and not have the rear sagging. Do you guys have any ideas? Most of the full suspension kits out there appear to be too soft for my purposes. Would add-a-leafs be something to look at? Thanks for your help.

controlfreak

An add-a-leaf will stiffen the ride and make the truck able to carry more of a load, however, the ride might be too stiff when the truck isn't loaded. Skyjacker makes an excellent 3" kit or you might want to talk to the guys at Jackit.com to see what they can set you up with.

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
I'd say if you wanted to do it right, I would get the lift that comes in a kit and make sure it is a good one and than add air bags or a overload spring in the rear. Air bags would be the best option in my opinion so that you can deflate them when off road and inflate when you have a load to stiffin up the suspension
Dan

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
lets say you went with the old wagg fronts and 2wd chevs in the rear. But instead of a block to get lift, do add a leafs. It would do well off road but not killer. With a chev pack you could get an overload setup too. Or go buy NWOR heavy duty springs.... I love em on my TRAILER :)

SnwMnkys

Why not Shackle Invert the rear? Youd keep your same spring rate because your keeping your stock springs, but youd be gaining lift.

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
Originally posted by lowe1974
I'd say if you wanted to do it right, I would get the lift that comes in a kit and make sure it is a good one and than add air bags or a overload spring in the rear. Air bags would be the best option in my opinion so that you can deflate them when off road and inflate when you have a load to stiffin up the suspension
Dan

Good advise but airbags = $$$$.

I think that I'd look for a good quality lift kit. If you're gonna lift it you can always put the long spring from your old rear packs in as a cheap add a leaf. That way you get some extra support with out the added stiffness of a true add a leaf.
Scott

grinch

inner city redneck
Its not cheap but you could get some custome springs made up.
Talk to the spring guys to get the proper spring rates for your application and then flip the shackle to help with the lift a little bit to...

grinch

inner city redneck
Ok I guess you cant flip the shackle.....(im not a toyota guy).
I would still look into the custome made springs for the rear thoagh.

xjc

I give up :(
Hey, I'm no pro but everyone that I know who is goes with either air bags ore better yet, adjustable air shocks. Same price as new spring pack but You can still go back to normal when you want.

Oh yea, Then you're set up for ARB's cus you will have a compressor. :) :D

You'll want some lockers if you don't have alot of flex, believe me I know.:mad: