Tow Rig consideration

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I forgot one thing 12V's sound better straight piped :D

But like mbryson said i'd take either cummins, I just prefer the 12V

53 willys

Bad speller
If you dont wont a big ass cab get the cummins, if you want a big ass cab get the ford. If you want the better motor get the cummins 12v or 24v both great choices BUT WHAT EVER TRUCK YOU GET FORD OR DODGE MAKE SURE IT IS A 5 OR 6 SPEED AUTO'S SUCK I KNOW I HAVE ONE.
99+ ford go though ball joints like crazy too

I bought a Cummins and the Dodge truck came with it. :D

Last edited:

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
mesha said:
With A budget of 16,000. :ugh: I think he wants one that isn't totalled. :D

The Duramax are nice, but all of them are WAY out of my price range. I did find an 8.0 liter quad cab but it was gas, not diesel...

yeah, 16k is my budget. Really pushing it, actually. I may just wait a few more years until I can afford a new one. I can get up to a $10k discount on a new one,. but we're still talking about a $32k truck...

mesha

By endurance we conquer
For what it's worth (not much) I didn't mention in my previous reply I tow between mexico and back for a living. I have had a duramax a powerstroke and a cummins. I like the cummins best. The cheby sure rode nice though. I only owned the PSD for a month or so, but it was in the shop for 2 wks out of that month. I am sure I just had a lemon :( It was a 99 with 43,000 miles on it though. The 12v are nice and if you have never owned a diesel truck before you will be pleaseed with any of them. fwiw

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
xj_punk said:
hey, my cummins rides nice :ugh:
like a paint shaker!!!! :D

That sucks! Mine rides smooooooth. :D

But my steering is loose again... time to change that stupid track-bar again. :rolleyes:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
BCGPER said:
First an XJ, now A Ford???? I see a Chrysler Mini-Van in your future.... :D
(remember the crap I got from you for buying Ford?)

I blame it all on a bad female influence. However, the Ford is gonna eliminate any need for a future mini-van. :cool:

53 willys

Bad speller
mesha said:
I only owned the PSD for a month or so, but it was in the shop for 2 wks out of that month. I am sure I just had a lemon :( It was a 99 with 43,000 miles on it though.

No they are all lemons :D opps did I say that I ment it must just be that ONE Ford.

Jeeptj98

53 willys said:
If you dont wont a big ass cab get the cummins, if you want a big ass cab get the ford. If you want the better motor get the cummins 12v or 24v both great choices BUT WHAT EVER TRUCK YOU GET FORD OR DODGE MAKE SURE IT IS A 5 OR 6 SPEED AUTO'S SUCK I KNOW I HAVE ONE.
99+ ford go though ball joints like crazy too

I bought a Cummins and the Dodge truck came with it. :D

I have a 2003 Dodge Cummins and I dont' have any issues with the Auto tranny when towing large loads. I do with I had the Manual though I get board driving the Auto.

R

rockdog

No matter which one you buy. Keep in mind one thing. If you chip it , pipe it , drive it like a dumb sh!t. It's not gonna last to long ! I've watched the kid up the street beat the hell out of two ford psd's and he's on his third cummins. Soon to be junk. The more ponies you push out of a motor , the more heat you build. Turbos dont like heat. My power stroke is stock. I pull two trucks on a 27 foot gooseneck. Can i go 85 over soldier summit? No. Why the hell would i want to? Both trucks are nice. I bought a ford cause i wanted a full size rear seat in the crew cab.Witchever one you buy take good care of it, and dont beat it. And it'll last a lot of miles.
Just my.02

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
rockdog said:
No matter which one you buy. Keep in mind one thing. If you chip it , pipe it , drive it like a dumb sh!t. It's not gonna last to long ! I've watched the kid up the street beat the hell out of two ford psd's and he's on his third cummins. Soon to be junk. The more ponies you push out of a motor , the more heat you build. Turbos dont like heat. My power stroke is stock. I pull two trucks on a 27 foot gooseneck. Can i go 85 over soldier summit? No. Why the hell would i want to? Both trucks are nice. I bought a ford cause i wanted a full size rear seat in the crew cab.Witchever one you buy take good care of it, and dont beat it. And it'll last a lot of miles.
Just my.02
That advice is worth way more than $.02...

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
bryson said:
That advice is worth way more than $.02...

$.08 ????

just because it is chipped or piped doesn't mean you are ruining it imo. it is all in the way you drive

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
xj_punk said:
$.08 ????

just because it is chipped or piped doesn't mean you are ruining it imo. it is all in the way you drive
Couple o' bucks anyway....This is true...my Dodge is chipped and piped and junk and I don't [always] drive like an @ss...but I did spend a butt-load of money on my auto tranny too...so I can drive however I want. :p

btw...I love the auto...after some money is put into it...it works awesome...

plus, you have to sink money into the manuals (clutches, 3rd gear, output shafts, input shafts...)when you turn up the truck too.

Last edited:
R

rockdog

xj_punk said:
$.08 ????

Don't misunderstand what i was trying to say nate. There are tons of ponies to be tapped on your truck. A chip and exaust won't ruin your motor. But your right foot, combined with the above can. I'll give you another example. Got a nephew who has a 12 valve cummins. He's tell'en me all the stuff he's gonna do for more power. I told him to go easy on the skinny pedal when he was done. Well it's 5 turbos later. And a whole lot lighter wallet now. I think he's starting to figure out theres a connection between the skinny pedal and his thin wallet. ;)

N-Smooth

rockdog said:
Don't misunderstand what i was trying to say nate. There are tons of ponies to be tapped on your truck. A chip and exaust won't ruin your motor. But your right foot, combined with the above can. I'll give you another example. Got a nephew who has a 12 valve cummins. He's tell'en me all the stuff he's gonna do for more power. I told him to go easy on the skinny pedal when he was done. Well it's 5 turbos later. And a whole lot lighter wallet now. I think he's starting to figure out theres a connection between the skinny pedal and his thin wallet. ;)

i understand what you mean, but that is not how it came out the first time.
its cool.
but remember, towing more than you can handle will also ruin a truck

N-Smooth

bryson said:
Couple o' bucks anyway....This is true...my Dodge is chipped and piped and junk and I don't [always] drive like an @ss...but I did spend a butt-load of money on my auto tranny too...so I can drive however I want. :p

btw...I love the auto...after some money is put into it...it works awesome...

plus, you have to sink money into the manuals (clutches, 3rd gear, output shafts, input shafts...)when you turn up the truck too.

what tranny kit did you upgrade to and how much????