Tow rig problem--sensor related?.....help.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Yesterday, I got home from a trip to Tom Woods' shop and parked the rig for about 5 minutes. Came back out and started it up and noticed the brake light was on. I thought maybe that the parking brake was being funny but it wasn't engaged or anything. So I'm driving and I notice the ABS light is on now too and the speedometer doesnt work until I'm above 20 MPH. The brakes still work fine, nothing seems out of the usual, it's just the speedo doesn't work under 20 and the brake/abs lights are on.

Any ideas? I know there is a tone ring or something similar that is associated with ABS and the speedo on the rear axle. I'm going to pull it in the shop in a couple hours and look for something un plugged or loose--or maybe a damaged wire or something. But I really have no idea.

Short of that, what else could cause this? I'm leaving tomorrow for Moab and being that the brakes still work fine, I'm thinking it may just be a sensor problem that I can deal with when I get back next week.

Thoughts?

Cody

I tried to register with the turbo diesel register, but it takes up to 3 days and that is too long to wait.

Caleb

I think you are prolly on the right track...also check you brake fluid and make sure its full, if it gets too low it will set off the brake light...other than that your guess is as good as mine:D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The dealer said he couldn't tell unless I came in and paid a 78 dollar fee to look at it. No thanks.

I called Gillete and the mechanic I spoke to said it could be one of several sensors and that he wouldnt worry about it enough to not go to Moab this weekend. I'll take it down there (gillette) next week and have them look at it if I can't figure anything out.

Hopefully one of those boards will yields some good information.

Cody

sukaB

Banned
Cody said:
The dealer said he couldn't tell unless I came in and paid a 78 dollar fee to look at it. No thanks.

I called Gillete and the mechanic I spoke to said it could be one of several sensors and that he wouldnt worry about it enough to not go to Moab this weekend. I'll take it down there (gillette) next week and have them look at it if I can't figure anything out.

Hopefully one of those boards will yields some good information.

Cody

Cody My lights came on too but my speedo kept working:
Cause//// the 10 dollar brake switch right under the kick panel connects to the arm of the brake/foot pedal went bad. Three minutes later replaced it and lights went off.
If your speedo is having problems though I would look to the rear sensor on the diff or tone ring crap.

Caleb

hey, if you haven;t taken it in yet there is supposedly a vaccum line below the battery and it will sometimes get some batter juice on it which eats through it. This will cause your speedo not to work and sometimes your cruise will quit working too...maybe this is why it works at 20 and over cause the vaccum pump has built enough pressure by then??? Dunno, just another option...