Towbie, the 2004 F-450

Team1k

Warning this first post is long winded....

Decided I would try to keep up a build thread on my new to me, 2004 F-450.
My part in the story starts 2 years ago while me and him both happened to be looking into getting tow rigs, and I don't think either of us realized the other was until we texted each other later about it.

My wife had a nice Altima but wanted something with 4x4 for the winter. I convinced her that a truck wouldn't be too bad to daily drive since her work was 5 mins away and would be dual purpose for hauling the jeep and other things. I wanted a bare bones diesel dually truck and found one for cheap, but she wanted leather and all that just like her Altima was. Well we ended up with a 2005 F-350 Lariat V10 FX4 bells and whistles truck so we know who won out. The wife never did like driving the truck so 6 months later we ended up buying her a Grand Cherokee. Since we also opted for the 2 year non transferable warranty I convinced myself to keep driving the thing so I got my moneys worth out of it. I bought a trailer for it and for a while I pulled my jeep around that way. I eventually got sick of storing a trailer, wondering when I would have to replace the wood decking and the cost of that, packing bearings, etc.... so I ended up selling it and just flat towing my jeep. Flat towing is great except for the added wear on the vehicle and if I seriously broke I would be hosed so I was back to debating what to do. Around that time my work announced we were moving right next to my house in lehi so there was another reason I didn't need a luxury liner to drive 2 mins to work and I began to feel my truck was being wasted. At that point I was determined to sell my truck, pay off the last bit of the loan on it, buy some old 90s beater ford, and be done with it. Pics of my F350:
IMG_2345.jpgIMG_2339.jpg

Rewind a bit: Around the same time my wife and I decided to buy the ford, my friend found a dirt cheap deal on a non-running F-450. His plans were to swap in a cummins motor, however upon getting it home a friend advised him to clean out a filter. Out popped 3 chunks of coal looking stuff and the truck ran fine. More info on that story can be found in his initial build thread here: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...ve-i-gotten-myself-into-new-me-2004-f450.html
I was very envious he had purchased what I basically wanted at a fraction of the cost. At that point he decided to just build up the truck and leave the 6.0 in it. He deleted the EGR, replaced the oil cooler, acid flushed the ford gold coolant, etc.... as preventative maintenance, then put a flatbed on it he customized to haul his jeep TJ. Airbags were added to level it out once loaded and he hauled his jeep all over with it. I followed along with his build, offered opinions when asked, and tried to contain my envy.

100_2888.jpg100_2893.jpg100_2901_zpsacdb31f7.jpg100_2906_zps48ff2eed.jpg100_2907_zps95e4c819.jpg100_2908_zps210142b8.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2382.jpg
    IMG_2382.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_2896.jpg
    100_2896.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 18

Team1k

Back to the present: My friend had been looking to buy either an older 4 runner, or a 4 door JK to fit his family in on outings as his 2 door wasn't cutting it. During one texting discussion over possible rigs he had found for sale I jokingly put "you know these longer rigs wont fit on your flatbed anymore. we should just trade trucks" A jeep JK purchase, hours on the phone with the bank and insurance, along with a nightmare at the DMV, and we now have officially traded trucks. I honestly cant believe how it all just came together at the right time and I was able to get my "dream" rig, even if the last leg of the journey was a bit rocky. Im way stoked about having it and digging into it, although a bit worried as I can see it being just like my jeep and draining my pockets dry with mods I want to do.

IMG_2382.jpgIMG_2380.jpgIMG_2378.jpgIMG_2373.jpg

Team1k

So far ive swapped out the rear 4 tires for some more aggressive treads in the same size since I liked the look(Take-off tires are still 50% or better and are listed in the for sale section), and got my custom plates switched over(pics soon to come)

Next up ill be swapping out the headlights for the 05 Harley Davidson model, and upgrading the grill to an 05 model as well. Custom bumper is in the works along with slider/steps and a few other goodies.

One hub is broken so im looking to either have both replaced with manual ones, quoted $300 by local shop, or pay $370 to replace the one broken auto locking one. I'd welcome any thoughts on the pros/cons of either hubs, whether the price I was quoted seems fair, etc...

Last edited:

Team1k

Knew I had seen this truck on here! A very nice truck you have sir.

Same to you :)

Like! Hopefully the 6.0 is good to you

I hope so. Ive read all the horror stories. Hopefully with the changes to the engines, and maybe some ill do myself, it should be reliable with me not chipping it.

We saw ya on the freeway on our way to st george last Friday! cool truck!

Thanks!

Upgrade the front end to the 2013. There is a charcoal grey Excursion running around with the new sheet metal and all I can say is it is BITCHIN.

Doh! I already have the 05 stuff. sitting in the garage

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Sweet! I had been wondering why you claimed the truck in the spotted thread, I knew it wasn't yours when I saw it last winter.

You know how much I love this tow rig solution, good choice!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
How did he tie it down? It looks like a strap from the rear bumper to the flatbed, and front bumper down. Seems sketchy at best. I like the strap over each tire.

Team1k

Yeah the pics look funky. Its actually chains front and rear to the bumper d-ring mounts(wont get into the axle vs frame debate here), and his winch is sucked down to a d-ring point on the bed.

Benjy do you have pics of your setup? Im interested in the "strap over each tire" method. Always open to new ideas.

Last edited:

littlyota

Really? That would be awesome. Is it the auto lock kind? I live in lehi, work in orem, and have a friend who travels from provo to slc each day.

I live up by Ogden. I will look and see what I have. If I can find it, it is an auto one. I bought a spare set a long time ago. I don't need 2. Just one for back up.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Yeah the pics look funky. Its actually chains front and rear to the bumper d-ring mounts(wont get into the axle vs frame debate here), and his winch is sucked down to a d-ring point on the bed.

Benjy do you have pics of your setup? Im interested in the "strap over each tire" method. Always open to new ideas.

I was able to dig up a picture. This is how I decided to tie it down after a few conversations with with the technical help at Mac's. They're great, and with all the shortcomings of towing like this, I'm glad tying the jeep down isn't something I have to think twice about.

storm.jpg

This was the tie down, one for each wheel:

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/279/All

and this is the D ring, but they're available anywhere, 2 for each wheel:

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/46/All

The best part of going over the tire is that it's quick and you don't have to climb under the rig.