Towing w/ a Short WB rig?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone have experience towing with a Short Wheelbase vehicle? I'm looking at a '92 Dodge Ram for a Daily Driver/Tow Rig. I know the 318 would hate pulling a trailer and Toyota, but it's in my price range.

Would a SWB get squirly w/ about 4800 lbs behind it? (3800lb truck + 1000lb Trailer, estimated weight)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Randy own's almost this same truck (but newer) and I have seen him pull some sheet....

That 318 is a good motor.

demon jeep

Banned
All you need to do is get the toy on the trailer right and get a EQ. hitch and it will drive like a dream. Also ADD A BRAKE CONTROL IN THE TRUCK. with that light of a truck it will be smart to. When I work at lone peak trailers people would come in and get flat bed trailers to tow cars,jeeps, mother in laws on and tow with WJs and broncos I always mad them get the stuff as I told you and they had no problems.

Greg

Admin
Sounds good so far..... I just don't want the Toyota trying to pass the Ramcharger while going down Price Canyon :eek:

I've yet to look at the Ramcharger, but it has a 'Tow Package' and the current owner tows a smaller boat with it..... I wonder if it has a Brake Control already!?

Isn't a 360 and 318 identical, externally? The 318 has 175k on it and I would imagine it's getting tired. I'm thinking ahead.... Swap in a newer 360.....eh?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I tow my ZJ with, umm, my ZJ. the 318 has the guts, it's my tranny that makes me nervous.

Just drive with caution. I'm lookin' to pick up one of those IS setups for my trailer. I've been caught in a couple really nasty storms between wellington and Green river that I thought I'd never make it. Sometimes it's scary, but most of the time it's no biggie.

I think the 318 could do 70+, but like I said, the tranny would hit the ground.

Cody

Greg

Admin
Which tranny does the GC have? It wouldn't be too difficult to get one of those Oil Coolers with it's own 10" Elec. Fan on it! That should help!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It's all about the tongue weight, my friend. It should tow just fine... just make sure you have plenty of tongue weight and it won't get gooofy on you.

MattL

i was going to comment on that. the tounge weight thing. but jeremy beat me.

What year on the dodge Greg?

Greg

Admin
1992 Ramcharger......

160974-auto.gif

Tounge Weight, eh? Do you just mess around with the position of the Load and see where it tracks the best?

Tell me more, oh wise Trailer Gods!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by Jeremy
It's all about the tongue weight, my friend. It should tow just fine... just make sure you have plenty of tongue weight and it won't get gooofy on you.

Tongue weight should be 10% of the weight you are pulling.

demon jeep

Banned
It is real easy 60/40 60% up front 40% back on the trailer
that should make it easy. If you get to much toungre weight you will get light steer, that means you do not have enought weight up on your front tires and that can make for a fun ride. so you want to set the weight just right and them markit so you do not forget. I found a place on mine to put the jeep and I have had it up to 90 with it following just fine.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by Greg

So around 500 lbs? How do you measure it?

A bathroom scale.....

Or the dumps,,,

Or a salvage yard,,,

Or just put it about like demmon say's 60/40 drive it around, move forward or backward untill its right.
Then like Demmons said, mark your trailer so you put the rig in the same spot every time.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have to add,,,

Trailer brakes are a must when pulling this kind of weight.
Also, if your trailer just won't quit the "dog waggle effect" then an equlizer hitch is a must (and more than likely will be).
Also, do not buy a cheep trailer brake system.

A good eq hitch will run you around $3-400.00.
A good trailer brake system will be just over $100.00.

Small price to pay for that added security.

demon jeep

Banned
The best brake control is taconcia I think that is how you spell if not go to hendersons or lone peak and ask for the T brake control it has a 5 year warrenty on it and it run from $75 to $100. hendersons is cheaper. If you need help installing let me know I will help ya out. and get a equalizer brand equilizer, they are made in Lindon

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I pretty much just drive forward as far as I can until the rear springs start to sag, then back up a bit. (yes, I have towed a lot, I sorta do it every day) anyway, if your tow rigs saggin alot, you got too much tongue weight. Your Dodge will handle it, also, make sure your tow rig has at least a front sway bar.

Greg

Admin
Great tips guys.....

Jeremy- I was thinking about getting a Aftermarket Anti-Sway Bar, so the Ramcharger could be a Canyon Burner/Tow Rig! :D