Towing w/ a Tahoe 4.8L and 4:10s???

Bud

'98 ZJ
How do ya'll think a 2003 Tahoe with 4:10s, 4WD, and the 4.8L and Auto Combo would do? It's a pretty high ratio, but it should help out the smaller motor. I'm worried about too high of RPM out of OD. How would the tranny hold up in Drive in Tow/Haul mode, pull a tandem trailer with a full-size jeep on it???

Does anyone else tow with a 4.8L and 4:10 combo???

kasprzak

I think you should be fine. I have pulled alot more weight with a bobcat and tandam trailer behind a bronco, so you should be just fine.

Bud

'98 ZJ
I would just think that would be some pretty high RPM's in third gear towing and trying to keep around 70MPH. What is the common gear ratio in the Tahoes with the 4.8L?

78mitsu

You'll work that mouse motor pretty hard if you want to get there fast. If you're not in a hurry, it'll pull just fine. If you can find a lighter flatbed that'll help too.

Bud

'98 ZJ
I might have to build one of those lighter trailers...I did have a really kick ass idea for a full-size dolly...might be time to try out the design

Bud

'98 ZJ
Says you should be able to tow 7400 lbs max. I would assume that would be with the 4.10 gears. Do you happen to have an owners manual with the chart of what you can pull? To me 7400 lbs sounds like a lot for a Tahoe with a 4.8.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a manual, but that is a pretty close number from what I have been researching...