towing with durango or dakota Q's

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
okay here is the deal: i am looking to buy a dodge tow rig/ dd. i drove a 4.7 durango and a 5.9 durango and I LOVE THEM!!!! i was thinking about getting a used durango like maybe a 98 or so, but i would like to know if there is anything bad about them that you guys know about.

another thing is should i get a durango or a 1/2 ton dodge. i have always loved fullsize, but i don't think it is that much better really. a durango would make a better dd, it is lighter and gets better gas mileage and i can get one with a 5.9L. what do you think?

also, do you think they would tow my xj well on a trailer? my uncle pulls his yj with his 4.7L wj and it does fine, he just wishes it had a frame (i know what that is like)... and the durangos come with either a 4.7, 5.9 or 5.3 (older ones). i would like to have the 5.9 for pulling because it has better torque, but i think they are all good motors. they all get about the same gas mileage and everything so it is no biggie for me to get a 5.9.

anyway let me know what you guys think... and don't just say "get a powerstroke, everything else sucks... go diesel or go home." i have a budget and the more money i put into the tow rig the less i get to put into the xj.
thanks,
-nate

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I have been waiting for the right 5.9 wuad cab dakota to come accross my path for a good long time now. I some people have had issues with towing monster rigs but for my uses pulling around a 2k lb samurai, I will be just fine. Towing an XJ would be a little different story but not too bad overall. I think they all have the Chrysler 8.25 rear end...a good rear axle that is also found on many XJs. As far as tranny and t-case, I don't know...just put a gigantic tranny cooler on the automatic to extend its life especially pulling over the summit on your way to moab!!

grinch

inner city redneck
Dont forget cooshy air bags or rough riding overload springs for the rear of the vehicle... If your gonna tow with this rig youll be glad you put em in....

N-Smooth

yeah i really want one. they are so nice and ifs rules (for the nice ride of course)
i am not sure if they have the 8.25 in them, they might have the 1/2 ton dodge truck axle. i don't know, but i am not wheeling it so it is not too big of a concern.
i wish they made a stick durango so i could make the tranny last longer. auto is more comfy for towing but sticks just last so much longer and are more fun. i like the idea of the tranny cooler, i think that would be ideal.
like i said, my uncle tows his yj and they weigh a lot more than xj's. and he tows it with the 4.7wj, the durango i want is a 5.9 and they have a frame and are wider. i think it is my ideal vehicle, but i am not quite sold on it yet.

need more opinions
-nate

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
xj_punk said:
Thanks for nothing.

You're welcome.

I just bought a gas truck 2 months ago. After driving it for awhile, it won't do what I need it to, which it to tow my 'Yota. So, I'm selling it and buying a real truck.

Like I said... save your money and buy a real truck.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Power shouldn't be the first thing you look for in a tow rig. Safety should be first. The longer and heavier the tow rig is the better and safer it will tow. 3/4 ton trucks have much bigger brakes, springs weighted for towing heavy loads, heavier duty axles for pulling that weight, and a long wheelbase to provide a stable towing platform.

Can a Durango pull an XJ on a trailer? Of course. It will be damn near its GVWR weight rating too. A rule of thumb is not to be towing right at your limit. Other things you need to consider are trailer brakes (A MUST!!!!!!!!), equilizer hitch, airbags/helper springs, etc.

FYI, I pulled my jeep on trailer over Parleys, 1/2 ton GMC with 5.3L V8. My slowest speed was 47. Brett pulled his very similar (in weight) jeep in his 454 'Burb over Parleys and his slowest speed was 39. Go figure. Power isn't everything.

EZ

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
EZRhino said:
Power shouldn't be the first thing you look for in a tow rig. Safety should be first. The longer and heavier the tow rig is the better and safer it will tow. 3/4 ton trucks have much bigger brakes, springs weighted for towing heavy loads, heavier duty axles for pulling that weight, and a long wheelbase to provide a stable towing platform.

Can a Durango pull an XJ on a trailer? Of course. It will be damn near its GVWR weight rating too. A rule of thumb is not to be towing right at your limit. Other things you need to consider are trailer brakes (A MUST!!!!!!!!), equilizer hitch, airbags/helper springs, etc.

FYI, I pulled my jeep on trailer over Parleys, 1/2 ton GMC with 5.3L V8. My slowest speed was 47. Brett pulled his very similar (in weight) jeep in his 454 'Burb over Parleys and his slowest speed was 39. Go figure. Power isn't everything.

EZ

EZ has some good points there...

Let me give a little info that I have... My bro has a 2000 Dodge Durango R/T... It has the 5.9 and a little more power than a regular Durango... He towed my jeep when my fuel lines stripped and I leaked out all my gas. He pulled me from Draper to Orem, and he pulled me just fine, no problems... Up and over Point of the Mountain, he was cruising at 75, passing other vehicles... It felt very safe, didn't wander, and he wasn't burning out his brakes... We were suprised...

About the rear axle... The only durango which came with the 8.25 was the bottom of the line SXT model... But they had recalls and were replaced with the 9.25 axle (same one as a 1500 Ram pre 2002). So it does have a stout rear axle, I believe it has a Limited Slip in it as well...

I would recommend the 5.9, my bro and my dad have the 5.9 in their truck/durango and my buddy has the 4.7 in his Ram, he doesn't gain any extra gas mileage, and has a lot less power than the 5.9... If the 5.9 is treated right, oil changes on time, etc etcetc, it will last forever... My dad's is still going strong with no problems at nearly 200,000 miles on it!!!

Dodge makes really tough rigs... Something you may want to know though... It has the same A/C pump as a dakota... To get the whole thing cool inside doesn't work that well... Especially if you get black, my brother's R/T A/C really sucks... He even has the rear A/C option, still you burn up inside of it. Don't get a black paintjob!

Good luck!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Greg and EZ are right on the money.

Can the durango or dakota pull your junk? Yeah. The engine will pull just fine but that isn't the issue here.

I was using my 5.2 ZJ to tow with for the past year and it'll tow (6k lb trailer) 65 most the way to moab, but it's short, light, and not setup to control a trailer that outweighs it. I had a 10k lb load distribution and sway control on my trailer as well as electric brakes. The first time you have to tow through a heavy rain storm, snow storm, heavy cross winds, dodge a deer, stop fast for traffic, or any other abrupt moves or encounter adverse conditions, you're going to realize why towing with 1/2 ton is not safe. It makes sense for a DD, but for towing, you'll be unhappy in the long run.

Another consideration, and more important than the engine, is the tranny. I think the durango's use the same 46 RH that my ZJ uses (it could be an RE I guess). Either way, your torturing your tranny by towing that much very often adn are just asking for failure. I have to rebuild my tranny now before I sell the thing because it doesn't like to shift into 3rd when it's cold.

Just my 1/50th of a dollar. For safety reasons, get a 3/4 ton. The 3/4 ton 5.9 or v10's are plentiful and cheap. It's those damn oilburners that everyone wants--including myself.

Cody

N-Smooth

thanks for the input guys.

greg- right now, the ideal vehicle for me is a durango. you do not have to agree with that or even like it. but, i am 20 years old and i am not rich. i still owe about 6k on my heep and i do not want to get too deep on another rig. i have friends that own a dealer and they might be able to find me a durango for dirt cheap in january at the auctions.

ez- i totally agree with what you said about power not being anything... but it does mean something. my uncle cruises like 70-75 with his wj pulling his yj to moab. if you didn't know, a xj with a 4.0 weighs less than a yj with a 2.5. xj's don't weigh very much at all, and mine is a 2.5!
durangos are not very heavy i am sure but they are wider than their jeep brothers and they have probably about the same wb as a short bed chevy. (just guessing)
i plan on having air bags in the rear, i think they are very necessary for stability, and trailer brakes are a must! also, i doubt it will be near the tow limit. my uncles wj is 1000lbs under his tow limit with the wj.

tweakey- yeah i thought they had the 9.25 under there. that should be a decent axle for the application. the one i drove yesterday with the 4.7 didn't have the lim slip cause i was burning out like a bansheeeeeeee!!! then when i test drove a 5.9 the salesmen let me open it up on a straightaway and that thing was powerful, not fast but powerful!!
i am a freak about maintaining my rigs, the oil will always be changed by me at 3k. also, silver is the color i am digging, they make a lot of good colors in durangos though.

thanks
-nate

N-Smooth

Cody said:
Another consideration, and more important than the engine, is the tranny. I think the durango's use the same 46 RH that my ZJ uses (it could be an RE I guess). Either way, your torturing your tranny by towing that much very often adn are just asking for failure. I have to rebuild my tranny now before I sell the thing because it doesn't like to shift into 3rd when it's cold.
Cody

yeah i hate the fact they are all autos. i said earlier that autos are comfy for towing but they don't last. that is why i was considering a used dakota cause you can get them with a stick. i would like to have a 3/4 ton, i don't think anyone would not like to have one. but, they are out of my price range. i am going to have my buddies look at the auction for 3/4 tons and durangos and i will take the best deal. besides that, a durango would not be permanent.

thanks for the input cody

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Yeah, the ZJ wasn't permanent either. 18 months later I'm selling it for a real tow rig and only taking a 2000 dollar hit.

learned my lesson about practicality and money. If I would have just got the better rig in hte first place I could have saved that money.

BTW, I towed once w/ a tahoe (350 vortec). It towed a little better than my ZJ, but I would still want more if I was towing more than once or twice a year.

Cody

Greg

Admin
Well, what are you looking to spend? I know where a '94 Cummins Ram is, for $7,500. I don't think you can find a Durango for that.

Cody hit it right the nail right on the head... I'm loosing money on selling my fullsize Chevy, so I can have something that's meant to tow. If you buy to fit your needs, you won't have to go thru loosing your money, like everyone else has.

What's really funny is that you can't talk anyone out of trying 'something in the mean-time.' Everybody tries it, then eventually gets a rig that's built to tow. So, have fun with the Durango.....

Nixter

on the road again...
Well said!

Kinda late, but I'll tell you as well. I agree with everyone. I have an 03 Durango and have pulled my TJ with trailer just fine. Like EZ said, always know where your weight is. I started out with just the rig, weighed it, and then added more like food, gear, passengers, etc.. Has not been a problem at all. My intention in buying the Durango, was for my wife (work, kids, camping, etc) and the occasional tow. I didn't buy it primarily for towing. Keeping the weight just right and being carefull what you do, you will be fine. If your looking for just a tow rig, maybe a truck is the way. If your looking for more than that, maybe Durango or Tahoe is the way.

IMO

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I towed numerous times with a 1/2 ton 5.9 Dodge, worked OK at best... gas mileage sucked, slow up canyon, trans got warm.. not worth the hassle and worry. I towed with my dads Cummins, wow what a difference, not only the power, but the braking, and stiffer handling.

I would go with an older diesel before going with a newer Durango.. probably get the same mileage around town and we all know which one was made for towing...

Greg

Admin
cruiseroutfit said:
I towed numerous times with a 1/2 ton 5.9 Dodge, worked OK at best... gas mileage sucked, slow up canyon, trans got warm.. not worth the hassle and worry. I towed with my dads Cummins, wow what a difference, not only the power, but the braking, and stiffer handling.

I would go with an older diesel before going with a newer Durango.. probably get the same mileage around town and we all know which one was made for towing...

Bingo.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
and speaking of practicality, the mileage will be better in the diesel and the price of diesel is less than gas. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Cody said:
and speaking of practicality, the mileage will be better in the diesel and the price of diesel is less than gas. :D

See, thats Cody's college education paying off... :D;)

(wish mine was as close as his... :( )