Towing with newer 5.3L Chevy's

Bud

'98 ZJ
How do you all that have 1/2 ton Chevy's 01 and newer (Tahoe, Suburban) with the 5.3 L like it and what type of gas mileage, tranny problems, etc are you getting?

way2nosty

I get 18-20 mpg empty and around 14 with the truck on (6600) total including trailer Haven't had any problems with the motor or trans or anything else for that matter. If you get the z-71 package, it includes an auxilarry transmission cooler and oil cooler. helps when pulling. Don't be afraid to work that motor 4000 - 5000 rpm isn't too much for it, it'll take it. They are 6 bolt main caps. I recommend you use Valvoline synthetic and a quality oil filter, I have heard several people who have pushed the paper out of frams with these motors in the winter time.

ace

Parts Collector
I haven't towed with my 03 Suburban, but my impressions are that it would do ok with a light load. It seems to have less low rpm grunt than my tbi350 but has ample power when you wind it up to 4-5000 rpm. It really moves up there.

way2nosty

they tend to squat like a ford unless you add a helper spring or airbags, as far as power goes, depending on the grade and speed occasionally you have to work it power starts about 2200 rpm. bottom end is a little soft - thats mostly transmission.

wildkid

...Jeepless...
It sounds funny I know, but I'd almost rather tow with my parents' 5.3L Tahoe than my truck with a 6.0L. But then theirs has 4.10 gears & I have 3.73s. The 5.3L seems quicker on start, but when the 6.0L hits 2500 +/- RPM, then I'm happy to have the larger motor.
All in all, the 5.3 is a great motor both for towing and not. 4.10 gears help too;)

Bud

'98 ZJ
wildkid said:
It sounds funny I know, but I'd almost rather tow with my parents' 5.3L Tahoe than my truck with a 6.0L. But then theirs has 4.10 gears & I have 3.73s. The 5.3L seems quicker on start, but when the 6.0L hits 2500 +/- RPM, then I'm happy to have the larger motor.
All in all, the 5.3 is a great motor both for towing and not. 4.10 gears help too;)
were you towing with the overdrive off in the Tahoe? If so, how were the RPMs towing with overdrive off and 4:10's?
thanks

Meat_

Banned
My dad's pickup towed a million trailers before he got it and the trans is fine. Plenty of that was in OD. It also has 4.10's. It doesn't pull like my Cummins but it does a good job, it will be towing a couple tons of hay in a few hours because my dad can't crawl into my Dodge :eek:

wildkid

...Jeepless...
Bud said:
were you towing with the overdrive off in the Tahoe? If so, how were the RPMs towing with overdrive off and 4:10's?
thanks
I can't honestly remember where the tach was in the Tahoe in third gear. I do know that it wasn't anything to worry about. On flat/level roads I towed in OD without the trans continually searching for the sweet spot. As soon as I approached a grade I shifted out of OD until the road flattened-out.

Meat_

Banned
Just towed 2,250lbs (trailer) + 4,360lbs (hay) from Springville to Lehi... plenty of power in 3rd to go as fast as I wanted, but 4th didn't really want to hold 70mph