Toy axle mod ?'s

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
Hey Just wondering what the wms is on toy solid axles and if it is possible to swap the front to a driver drop? Tha app I'm looking to put them in is a 98 cherokee. Any info would be awesome
-Thanks

leorn

reset
Hey Just wondering what the wms is on toy solid axles and if it is possible to swap the front to a driver drop? Tha app I'm looking to put them in is a 98 cherokee. Any info would be awesome
-Thanks

From this location: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459180

Toyota Mini Truck Front Axle Identification
79-80 no gusset
81-83 short gusset (to u-bolts)
84-85 long gusset (past u-bolts)

Stock Toyota front axle measurements for comparison:
55.5" wide, 29" spring perch centers, '79-85 Toyota trucks and 4runners, SA Hubs
58.25" wide, 29" spring perch centers, '79-85 Toyota trucks and 4runners, IFS Hubs
63.5" wide, (set up for coil springs) 90-97 FJ80 and FZJ80 Landcruisers

Toyota Rear Axle Widths:
55" wide, '79-85 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
58" wide, '86-95 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
56" wide, '79-95 2wd Trucks - 5 Lug
60.75" wide, '95.5-up Tacomas/4runners
66.75" wide, '93-98 T100 trucks

Note: not all of these axles have the same diff.

All fronts are pass drop. Changing a toy front to dsd would not be cost or labor effective IMO. I would probably do a dana front, or look into a D300 t-case swap before I'd go to the trouble of changing the axle drop.

suisuki

Chrome Won't Get ya' home
EVEN THOUGH it might not be practical or cost/time effective you could make a toy housing dsd here's how, alot of guys running links or lots of lift in the front will cut and turn the knuckles (for better caster/driveline angle) , by turning the knuckles all the way around, then flipping the 3rd you could achieve a ds drop.

Allthough if it were me I'd probably be looking for a dsdrop D44 since there availabe for around the same money as a toy and the strength is about the same.