toy or zuk

i posted this on pirate and i am just looking for advice, i have the choice of getting a 88 two drive toy pick-up with a good 22r motor and a good frame. i have a set of mini truck axles i would swap in there but theres no transfercase, so what to use, a divorced ( very little low range ) or swap a 4-wheel drive t-case ( witch i dont have ) and not even sure if i can mount one behind a two wheel drive case. i have read how to do a SOA and not sure if the two wheel drive frames are similer to the 88 IFS ones.

option 2 is for the close to the same money i can get a sammie and would swap the same axles under it ( mini truck ) but i dont know the year of the sammie and all i was told is that it runs and drives, what years did they come fuel injected ( or did they come FI at all ). i have a rockwell buggy i am building but i am building a new house so money is tight and dont have enough to finish it right now but would like to wheel next seasion, i can get these two rigs for under 200.00 dollars, just looking for a cheap trail beater, i am on the east coast so the rig needs to be set up for trails like paragon and telico, thanks jason.

KToy

2wd yota you will need a whole new tranny. and a tcase. and steering stuff.

frames are the same.

sami is a good swap and i havnt built mine yet but its a fun to look at and cant wait to build it.

i prefer toyota since they have bigger motors. the sami had no efi in them until the sidekick.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I would build the zuk. The toy axles are a good upgrade with lots of after market the fuel injection in the zuk came in like 90-91 I believe. I have an 86 that was carbed and converted to propane. You could get the zuk swap the axles with a yj spring kit and get some t case gears for under 1500 or so if you did the work yourself. Good luck

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
420willys said:
what years did they come fuel injected ( or did they come FI at all ).

I'm about 90% sure that the Samurai's 1.3 became fuel injected in 1990 until they were removed from the states in 94 or 95.

myota

my toyota
I would do toy, just because of the longer wheel base. are you sure that 88' has a 22r and not a 22re?

is the zuk 4wd? i don't recall reading if it was or not...
if the zuk is 4wd, it'd prolly be cheaper

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
IMO i think the zuk would be better if it is 4 wheel drive. if they are both 2wd my vote would be toy.

i think i am kris k with this one, they zuk all ready has a T-case set up and myota your right its a 22re, i took a good look at the dana 300 and thought how hard would it be to make it divorced, i saw a while back on pirate that somwone made a dana 300 ( divorced ) for there buggy and got me thinking, jason.