Toyo Tire questions

MPM

I am in the market for some new tread for my F350 PSD. I have run Nitto Terra Graplers and BFG ATs. I am a bit dissatisfied with the longevity of both of these. 28000 on the Nittos and I am at 22000 on the BFGs, and I am very nervous about going into winter with them on. I have looked at the Toyo ATs and they seem to have some nice tread. But, I am curious what kind of longevity I should expect out of them. They are a bit cheaper than the Nittos and quite a bit cheaper that the BFGs. Any feedback would be really appreciated!!! Thanks

Toad

I have a set on my psd. They were on the truck when I bought it. I have put almost 10,000 miles on in the last year. They look new still. I dont know the exact milage on the tires put very happy with tires so far.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The Toyo AT's and Michelin LTX's seem to last the longest on diesel trucks. I really liked my Goodyear Silent Armor's but after 15K they wore down pretty good.

The Goodyear's did great in snow but I hated the Michelin's in the snow... Not sure about the Toyo's.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I have the toyo muds on my psd. Very happy with them. I have about 35k on them I just swapped 2 out the reas still are about 25 %. Snow/ice traction sorta sucked once I passed half tread, but it is a heavy truck

Corban_White

I had the toyo A/T on my truck. They were awesome in all conditions, especially snow. They went 65,000 miles. I replaced them with some hankook ATSs because they were almost half the price of the toyos. So far I am liking them but I have only had them on for 2 mos.

chans

I have the Toyo A/Ts on a Dodge 2500 diesel and got close to 38,000 miles on the first set and looks like it will be the same on the next set. The BFG A/Ts got about 30,000 miles of usable tread. Do you rotate your tires or carry heavy loads? 28,000 and 22,000 seems low for a set of those tires.

richpblaze

Way over priced, I have not had good luck at all.

warrantied one after about 500 mile huge bubble on sidewall. I have also had two sidewall blow outs. I have rotated regularly and have not got the life expected out of them. These are 20's that may be the problem but I doubt it.

Mope

I haven't had as good of luck as you guys have. I ran Load E on my 1/2 ton, and have had them rotated every 6000 miles. I tow a sami on a 16 foot car hauler, and get a little bit of firewood. I have about 25000 on them, and I'm worried about winter this year. I have had them for 4 years, but the mileage hasn't been great. For the price they are asking now, I'm going to go a different tire this time around.

MPM

I had heard that the Nittos had pretty soft rubber, so I wasn't all that surprised that I only got that many miles out of them. But, I am a bit disappointed in the BFGs. I do rotate, and don't haul all that often. I do drive on dirt roads pretty often. I have heard that that really does effect the mileage.

LT.

I don't understand how you are getting such bad mileage out of the BFG's. I have 22,000 miles on the set on my Cummins Dually and they will go another 15,000. I also have a set of Toyo's on my little Ford Escape. I just turned 50,000 miles on them this fall. Having run both sets at the same time I can tell you that the BFG All Terrains do better than the Toyo AT's will. Take a look at the tread blocks and the way they are arranged and it will start to make sense to you. The BFG's are interlocked and will do better on snow covered roads then the Toyo's will. The Toyo's do better on highway roads that have water on them and they also do well on dry roads as well. They are a little more quiet then the BFG's and they seem to do better on mileage. The Toyo's have their tread blocks arranged in rows around the circumfrence of the tire. This also makes voids around the circumfrence of the tire for the water. Also due to the non interlocking treads they are more quiet than the BFG's. As far as traction goes you really are going to be hard pressed to beat a BFG.

LT.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
can't really help you with the truck part but I know my son's cherokee has some bfg AT's that are close to 3 yrs old and have probably 30,000 on them and they are still half tread life.... however on my grand cherokee I have some that I just got maybe a year ago and they are already half tread... I think they went to a softer rubber...

I now have a set of Toyo MT's on my old cj and love them... my girlfriend has the same toyos on her TJ and have run them close to a year now and they look almost new compared to my new ones...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The Toyo AT's and Michelin LTX's seem to last the longest on diesel trucks. I really liked my Goodyear Silent Armor's but after 15K they wore down pretty good.

The Goodyear's did great in snow but I hated the Michelin's in the snow... Not sure about the Toyo's.

Bad to hear about the Goodyears. I just bought another set. They do have a 50K mile warranty.

jardine

hate the toyos got 22k out of my toyo at until they were pretty much total slicks on a 2500 megacab. mine wore really bad in the center. also if you had bad luck with the nittos you are going to have bad luck with the toyos cause they both use the same mold.

Corban_White

Really??? Cause this doesn't look like the same mold to me:

Nitto_Terra_Grappler.jpg

Open%20Country%20AT.jpg

And according to many sources the Toyo is a much better tire than the Nitto.

chans

hate the toyos got 22k out of my toyo at until they were pretty much total slicks on a 2500 megacab. mine wore really bad in the center. also if you had bad luck with the nittos you are going to have bad luck with the toyos cause they both use the same mold.

Over inflated?

chans

can't really help you with the truck part but I know my son's cherokee has some bfg AT's that are close to 3 yrs old and have probably 30,000 on them and they are still half tread life.... however on my grand cherokee I have some that I just got maybe a year ago and they are already half tread... I think they went to a softer rubber...

If they are the KOs then it is the same rubber. Your Grand is probably full time 4wd which makes a huge difference. I had the BFG A/Ts on my Taco and got 55,000 miles out of them and still could of had another 5 or 8,000 miles but switched them out for some M/Ts and my brother ran some BFG A/Ts on his Grand since I got so good of mileage out of them and he only got 35,000 out of them because of the extra weight and all wheel drive.

Last edited:

jardine

Really??? Cause this doesn't look like the same mold to me:

Nitto_Terra_Grappler.jpg

Open%20Country%20AT.jpg

And according to many sources the Toyo is a much better tire than the Nitto.

if you put them up side by side they are almost the same besides sipping. i have heard it from a few of my coworkers countless times. at our store (draper discount) we all like the nittos better but none of us are really toyo fans and our customs talk about how much they like the nittos.

Over inflated?

nope kept them right at 45-50psi on a d rated tire. i work at discount tire so the air got checked weekly.

jardine

a tire we have been selling a lot of lately is the hankook dynapro at. people have seemed to really like them. the price is much better then most tires and they come with a mileage warranty. thats what i was going to put on my truck but then we had some trade in bfg at in a 325/60/20 which was the size i needed and they had 3/4 tread so i picked those up for $200 :)

Corban_White

if you put them up side by side they are almost the same besides sipping.

I have put them side by side. I have also read/heard many reviews on both tires. They are neither the same mold nor the same rubber. They are the same company. Almost the same and the same are very different.