Toyota 3.0 Oil & Coolant Sensors...

Probably a question I could ask Carl directly maybe as I remember comment about this when he was pulling my engine...

Subject basically says it all... I stupidly forgot to pull the water temp and oil pressure senders from the 3.0 from 1991 Pickup before I sold the engine. I am putting a Benz diesel into it and I need to thread the senders into the new engine. The question is.. Where are they, and what color are the wires going to them? I need to find a 3.0 V6 manual in a junk yard (I basically need the pedal assembly) so hopefully I can pull them then and at least figure out what the wires are in the very complicated engine harness... Unless these sensors are cheap(?)..

Would anyone be willing to let me know -- possibly post pictures? I know there are several coolant temp sensors as well for the computer, etc..

thanks,
Andre

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'll see if I can manage to find where they are in the morning when my 4runner is back in the garage--a lot of the sensors are hidden under the intake plenum when it's all assembled, which makes anything and everything a PITA.

Too bad I scrapped my other engine long ago, surely with the sensors you need still in it. :(

193kyle

PM smashmetal on here. He is doing a 3.0 to Lt1 swap in his runner and is reusing some of the stock sending units, I am sure he can help you out. His build thread is on Pirate and he has a ton of pics.

Cool.. I checked on autozone and the sensors are less than $20 so I'm OK. The oil pressure is a switch so an idiot light which is great..

I also just found a couple awesome links to download the wiring diagrams online. The hardest part is actuating the alternator I think. Here is the diagram to the alternator wiring for the Toyota. Pretty standard just like a GM - it uses the negative from an idiot light to trigger the alternator I think...

Here is the Bosch one. I have no idea where to start on this...

Three wires, two fat. Makes me think the little one gets that alternator trigger. On this '91 the most of harness goes into the ECU. I think I can cut it apart and remove everything I don't need pretty easily out of it and tape if back up and basically eliminate all of those circuits. No electric fuel pump etc that will need to be working... Just these couple gauges and the oil and no charge idiot lights... By eliminating the computer I'm assuming that will also make the check engine light not have the ability to come on...

The beauty of finding and automatic. But the problem is it now yields some additional gauges I'll need to buy (diesel tach, boost/pyro, a couple others for the waste veggie oil system it will be running)

Attachments

• SM_031.jpg
    SM_031.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1
  • SM_030.jpg
    SM_030.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1
Cool, from the Toyota link I posted I figured out which wire triggers the idiot light (yellow).

I also found out a alternator from a Saab 9000 bolts in place and is 115 amp and is a more traditional wiring (idiot light negative and a fat charge cord). By coincidence I happen to have "lifetime warranty" on a '91 Saab 9000 alternator at Autozone ;)... So take the old one in and see if I can get some schoe who can't tell its not an autozone alt (or bribe him maybe)... :)

Now to just figure out those two wires (coolant and oil pressure). Shouldn't be too hard though now that I have the diagram. But location and photos would help or even just wire color)...