Toyota 3.0 V6 Cam Bearing Question

Bones

Okay, have the opportunity to pick up a real nice/clean 95 4unner with nearly 300K on it. Here's the deal on what my boss has done with it so far:

We have taken the valve covers off and I think it was low on oil- enough that it hurt the cams but we have driven it quite a bit since then - still runs - just rattles- like cam bearings are gone. I can get a $500 donation credit from the church if I donate it to them- you can have it for that if you want.

I think a used engine or just used heads would fix it but I haven’t driven it myself so I don’t’ know.

So dose this sound like a worthwhile venture on a truck with 300K miles on the ticker? Thinking of keeping it for a DD for a short while or selling/trading it for something else I don't need.

Bones

I think a 4.3 swap for a DD is kind of like the posers that build a nice looking 4x and never wheel it.

A 4.3 swap is NOT cheap and not something i want to do on that kind of rig. I'm probably going to pass on it all together. I'd hate to part out such a nice ride. :(

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Originally posted by Bones
I think a 4.3 swap for a DD is kind of like the posers that build a nice looking 4x and never wheel it.

A 4.3 swap is NOT cheap and not something i want to do on that kind of rig. I'm probably going to pass on it all together. I'd hate to part out such a nice ride. :(

It sounds like a steel to me if it is clean except for the engine what do you have to lose. Try just putting a head on it, but if it ran without oilpresure I think main and rod bearings would be toast. If it is donated they will part it out they always do. Save it from certain death and have the engine rebuilt.

Bones

Originally posted by bobdog

It sounds like a steel to me if it is clean except for the engine what do you have to lose. Try just putting a head on it, but if it ran without oilpresure I think main and rod bearings would be toast. If it is donated they will part it out they always do. Save it from certain death and have the engine rebuilt.

I'd love to save it, but that would be my 4th Toyota and I have to get my house in ship shape to put up for sale this summer. I just like it and wish I could get it roadworthy quick, sell my DD Tacoma and drive this everyday and not worry if I roast it since I would have very little in to it.

A reman engine is 3K :eek: I'm sure a rebuild would by myself would still run $1500 since the head(s) are toast.