toyota 4BT swap

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What would you be putting it in? I've got a pretty setup 4BT here that a friend is selling (he is out or state). If your interested in the details I'll pass them along.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
We are putting a 4bt in a 95 Toyota right now its running and driving just need to finish wiring up gauges. Its a very strait forward swap we had issues with the starter clearing the frame on the passenger side with our chevy bell housing. We ended up cutting the ears off the starter and rotating it til it clears and then TIG welded them back on. Works great so far other than that its very easy swap

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
4bt's are cool but have a pretty short powerband... Great choice for say, a trail rig that you don't mind putting down the highway in. Gearing is critical, as is an OD trans. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'll start a thread with the 4BT info when I get a free minute, its not going to be a budget build.. this 4BT has a brand new Cummins head, new turbo, etc. Details to come.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Stock these motors have a very short powerband but with a governor spring kit these motors will pull hard clear to 4000 rpms if you want..... for the earlier VE style injector pumps the governor spring is a 12 dollar part and worth every penny if you ask me

The main concern with these motors is they are super tall so without alot of lift or a cowl hood (so you can raise the motor up) axle to oil pan clearance is a huge concern

EDIT:the truck I am working on has a 2 inch body lift and it made the swap mucho more easier

Last edited: