Toyota 8"

Kramnden

I was told that the Toyota 8" would be a good rear axle to run in my TJ. The only real difficulty would be attaching it to to the driveline. Has anybody done this before and would you recommend it?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I think they make a adapter flange for it, maybe through high angle or tom woods. I Know vonski's old cherokee had a toyota rear I think

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
As far as going under an TJ I think that would be sweet in many ways (expecially in strength and ground clearance), but make sure you get the wider 86 and later (IFS) housing as they are wider and stronger than the earlier units. Also adapting to the Toyota flange style is an upgrade in my opinion an could be easily accomplished by any D-shaft shop like 6 states or Tom Woods ect...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
As far as going under an TJ I think that would be sweet in many ways (expecially in strength and ground clearance), but make sure you get the wider 86 and later (IFS) housing as they are wider and stronger than the earlier units. Also adapting to the Toyota flange style is an upgrade in my opinion an could be easily accomplished by any D-shaft shop like 6 states or Tom Woods ect...

That's all good if you're doing something with the front axle, but otherwise it's easier to try for a 2WD housing to get the 5 on 4.5" pattern. The one under Herzog's XJ is an earlier 2x housing which is narrower, plus some spacers. Not the best solution, but it was the easiest to find in a hurry. :D Oh yeah, it has an E-locker too. ;)

Kramnden

I would shoot for a wider axle. I think the 95 2wd Tacoma's came with the 8". I haven't done too much homework on this yet so I don't really have any reliable info. That's why I came here.

That's all good if you're doing something with the front axle, but otherwise it's easier to try for a 2WD housing to get the 5 on 4.5" pattern. The one under Herzog's XJ is an earlier 2x housing which is narrower, plus some spacers. Not the best solution, but it was the easiest to find in a hurry. :D Oh yeah, it has an E-locker too. ;)

I would like to go with a wider axle but if it doesn't have the same bolt pattern, that kind of defeats the purpose. Why do you say it's not the best solution? At least to me, weighing the pros against the cons, it sounds like the best bang for the buck.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
using spacers on a street rig:(

People do it all the time. That makes it right......right? ;)

Newer 2wd Taco axle would be the ticket. If you want the option of converting to an E-locker you'll need to make sure you get one with an 8" third--I don't recall exactly which Taco you want to look for to get it. Might need to go junkyard-hunting. (or talk to Coreshot, he drives a Tacoma with a great donor axle. :) )

If you're OK with the spacers, the narrower version is going to be easier to find, just because the trucks with them have been around forever.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
People do it all the time. That makes it right......right? ;)

Newer 2wd Taco axle would be the ticket. If you want the option of converting to an E-locker you'll need to make sure you get one with an 8" third--I don't recall exactly which Taco you want to look for to get it. Might need to go junkyard-hunting. (or talk to Coreshot, he drives a Tacoma with a great donor axle. :) )

If you're OK with the spacers, the narrower version is going to be easier to find, just because the trucks with them have been around forever.

I would love to find the wider axle and just throw the current third (w/ the locker) into it. I'm not too keen on the wheel adapters... but they definitely haven't given me any problems yet.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Man you guys got me one the lug pattern thing :eek: ...

Oh, and as far as early 2wd's go (95.5 and older) your going to want to shoot for either a V6, Turbo, or 1 TON truck axle as they where the ones that used a true 8" 30 spline diff anything else used the 7 1/2" 27 sline unit. I'm also under the impression that your factory E-brake should hook right up to the Toyota unit, but I'm not sure...

grntaco

The 2wd Taco Prerunners would be the 8.4 and have the 6 lugs and the mini Tacos had the 7.5 rear with the 5 bolt pattern. I've heard the 8.4 takes way too much work to adapt the locker unlike the older 8" and you can just get the TRD axle with the locker anyways. If you put the TRD rear in you can always upgrade the front to a Waggy D44 with the same lug pattern.

Kramnden

The 2wd Taco Prerunners would be the 8.4 and have the 6 lugs and the mini Tacos had the 7.5 rear with the 5 bolt pattern. I've heard the 8.4 takes way too much work to adapt the locker unlike the older 8" and you can just get the TRD axle with the locker anyways. If you put the TRD rear in you can always upgrade the front to a Waggy D44 with the same lug pattern.

Is the TRD rear axle the same as the 8"? I'm kind of an idiot in this department and need things dumbed down:sick:

rollover

As far as your driveline matching up just take it to GRS or Slyco. If your at the junk yard get a Yota D/L to use for parts. Those guys will cut your jeep end off and weld the Yota on. If it needs to be longer they do that too.

grntaco

Is the TRD rear axle the same as the 8"? I'm kind of an idiot in this department and need things dumbed down:sick:

The TRD axle is a 8" (200mm) and it uses the gears like the older 6 cyl 8" but you can't swap the 3rds to an original 8" without modifying the housing. The non TRD is 210mm and is the same axle as the T100. If you look at the axle the TRD one has a drain plug on the driver side and the locker box in front and the non TRD has the drain plug on the passanger side. The advantage with the non TRD one is it is stronger and all the after market Tacoma lockers fit it were as the TRD axle only has the factory locker but you can upgrade it to a cable or rig a switch to keep it electric in your Jeep.

grntaco

What is also cool with the Tacoma axle is you can get disc brakes for it and they make a full float kit with hubs to unlock the axles.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
While wheel "spacers" are illegal for road use... wheel "adapters" are legal... So, I wouldn't discount the use of a 6x5.5" Tacoma axle and a set of wheel adapters to take you to the 5 lug. Legal, yes. Safe, yes. I too am not super keen on the wheel spacers on a DD rig, but in all reality if they are installed correctly, they will likely never be an issue.