toyota auto tranny question.

rock4fun

I picked up a old copy of P4WOR today and something caught my attention. There is a article saying that this guy didn't like wheeling with a manual tranny in his toyota so he swapped in a auto out of a 93 4-runner but still kept his 22re and gear driven toyota t-case. I want to do this to my yota but isn't the auto tranny out of a toyota married to the t-case and can't be seperated. If any one can give me the scoop on this I would like it very much thanks in advance.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
The auto is worth every penny. After wheeling with guys running a manual and watching them lose a good line or burn up their clutch, I am so glad I have an auto.

billylight

you basically are taking the 4 wheel auto and turning it into a 2 wheel and adapting it to the gear driven t case. its a bit of work cause the park feature is located in the t case and has to be relocated in the transmission. Ive heard inch worms adapter looses pressure on steep inclines. there is another small shop in Chico California that supposedly makes the best ones but they are pricey.

rock4fun

Ok I finally got the chance to look these up from inchworm and decided that I will be sticking to the manual for awhile longer. Not because I don't like the set up but I just can't afford the $550.00 at this time but I am going to do this in the future sometime.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Not trying to hijack just have a quick question on this. I have a 2WD truck with an auto, will this adapter work for me the same so I can just ad the t-case? And does anybody know the model of tranny I would have?

I believe this is what you'll need along with a top shift gear drive t-case. http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/p...d=995&osCsid=858b43c27c6ce6bc59506dd3f75aa7cf Depending on what side you want the drop you may or may not need the lefty conversion...

pELYgroso

'Merica
I have the auto w/ married case in my 'runner w/ 5.29s and 35's, and I LOVED it this last weekend at crawlfest! I was a little worried that the stock tranny/case set-up wouldn't be low enough for crawling, but it did awesome! I'll post up some vids in the crawlfest trip report....