Toyota Axles

cjfj80

I have an 81 toy with the stock axles, is there a heavier duty axle that will fit under without getting them cut, I think the width under mine is 49 thats inside to inside, without ever seeing a dana I think that they are 60ish? Is there any that where made smaller? Any help would be great.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Probably not a lot of options without narrowing them. Toy axles have some pretty good upgrades except the r and p. What are your plans for the rig? Check out longfield axles

cjfj80

The truck already is built fairly well, it has a chev 350 with a 700r4 tranny, 5" lift and 35's. I really need somthing to handle the power. I have already torn up the rear axle once and rebuilt it

hammerhead

Junkyard Dog
The stock axle should be around 55" WMS to WMS.

D60 is a good upgrade but not cheap. If they were everyone would run one.

Longfields up front and a V6 third in the rear make a huge difference.

As asked above, what was "torn up"?

leorn

reset
I have considered ford 9" for my rear (35 or 40 spline), but it just handled my 39's on my stock rear axle just fine. I only have 4 squirrels but they were at full power up widowmaker and my junk held fine.

My buddies rear holds up fine behind a 4.3/700r4. He is way harder on his junk too. its that tranny he keeps having trouble with.

Unless your binding it up I wouldn't expect the rear to have too much trouble???

I guess both of our rigs do have the 6cyl third.

myota

my toyota
Last year's first place winner in the pro-mod class of WEROCK ran stock rear toyota shafts. They ran 8.4 tundra 3rds though with 4.10 gears. Rear shafts are plenty strong for almost any application out there IMO, unless you have double cases, huge tires, an overpowered engine and a lead foot...

I suggest going with a rear from an IFS toy and a V6 chunk like hammerhead suggested. 30 spline longs up front

My Ride Sux

I would second the 30 spline longs up front. That is going to be my next upgrade. Way cheaper than converting to a narrowed dana 60.

84ugly

If it was me I wouldn't even mess around with longfield birfs. Unless your referring to the chromoly birfs. I'm running the chromoly axles and birfs and never had a problem. (dual t-case with 4.7's in the rear case and 38" tires.) Chromoly inners and outers for a toyota axle is just as strong as D60. Just my 2 cents.

myota

my toyota
If it was me I wouldn't even mess around with longfield birfs. Unless your referring to the chromoly birfs. I'm running the chromoly axles and birfs and never had a problem. (dual t-case with 4.7's in the rear case and 38" tires.) Chromoly inners and outers for a toyota axle is just as strong as D60. Just my 2 cents.

Just curious where you have found that stock birfs are as strong as a D60????-_-

30 splines birfs are as strong as D60, but definitely not stock birfs....
btw, All longfield birfs are chromoly

torquetestgraph.jpg

camcruiser13

yes that is what i was refering to

notajeep

Just me
My $.02
I run the 27 spline longs with 36" Iroks, full spool and hydro assist and live in Moab. I have yet to have any problem with them.
Dan

84ugly

I did not say that stock birfs are as strong as D60's

I said that the long chromoly's where as strong as D60's

fj40owner

I agree with the 30 spline chromo longs up front- I spoke with Bobby Long on the phone before I bought mine, and he dared me to brake them- saying he'd replace them if I could! (I've tried- I can't...) As for the rear, I'd go with Poly Performance (but that's because Long does not make rear axles) It's cheaper and easier than replacing your entire rear end
polyperformance.jpg

Toyota Mini Truck Rear Axle Shafts
$420.00
Description:
-4340 Forged Chromoly Axles
-Designed to last a lifetime
-Tapered design for an extreme mount of torsional and bending strength
-Splines are cold rolled for (not cut) for extra strength
-Axles are given a smooth finish to eliminate possible stress risers
-Currently the only aftermarket performance axles available
Weight: 40.00 lbs