Toyota Engine Swap Q's

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I have a 79 Toyota Pickup with the factory 20R, and overall I am more than happy with it. The engine is stock aside from a few carb "tweeks" that have made it perform very well off-road. I have 4.375 R&P's with 35" tires and a G52 Trans, and 4.7 T-case gears.

Here's my problem: 4:37 R&P's are sweet when combined with 35's they put my RPM's right where I want them on the highway, but the whopping 90 horse under my hood is becoming irritating. I have really considered 5:29's, but even with the gearing a little lower than stock it's still going to be really gutless. I really like the 20R because of it's simplicity and reliability, but I am thinking that it might have to go via an engine swap.

I decided that I'm not going to swap in a 22RE because I don't feel as though 10-15 extra horse will justify the time spent changing it over. And I don't think V8 power is worth the extra weight for MY application. As "cool" as it would be I am also going to steer away from superchargers, turbos, diesels, and anything that won't easily adapt to a Toyota 5-speed Transmission.

I'm pretty serious about doing a swap, and have been saving for quite awhile. My goal is around 150ish HP, and not too much extra weight. Here is a few that are at the Top of my list, and that should swap in without too much trouble (so I've heard :sick: ) here it goes:

1. Toyota 7M-GE (3.0L inline 6) @ 199HP/188FT/lbs.
2. Toyota 2RZ-FE (2.4 inline 4) @ 142HP/160FT/lbs.
3. Toyota 3RZ-FE (2.7 inline 4) @ 150HP/177FT/lbs.
4. Isuzu 3.2 V6 (Rodeo, Amigo ect..) @ 205HP/ ?Ft/lbs.
5. GM :)rolleyes: Have to explore my options...) TBI 4.3L V6 150HP/?FT/lbs
6. 20R/22R Hybrid (Rumored) 135-155HP/?FT/lbs.
7. Buick V6 (aluminum) Really don't know much about it....Info?

With a few of these I'll need a little more strength than my G52 transmission will provide, and to deal with that I have access to a good W56 trans and/ or for the Isuzu 3.2L idea (which I think would be REALLY cool) I could track down a R151F Turbo pickup/4-Runner trans.

Does anyone have any personal experience with any of these engines? Or should I just deal with my problem free although very gutless motor? Let me know what you think, thanks

Andrew

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Keep it Toyota. I'd vote for the 3RZ-FE. Sweetest engine ever. Perfect balance of power where you don't have to upgrade all your stuff, but you get some pretty good get up and go. It also will fit alot better than some of the other options. I hope you like wiring though. There is a TON of info on this swap the Marlin Crawler forum. Big Mike, Marlin's boy has done a load of these swaps.

toyotajunk2

Depending on how much you have to spend I've heard good things about the LC engineering engines. My plan is to eventually swap one into my Toyota. They have a couple different options.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
honestly, for the HP gain, and more so reliabilty... think about the 2.7. it bolts right up other than custom engine mounts. you never really hear about that motor because it's such a good strong runner.. i think it's abit taller than the 2.4(for clearancing issues)...

i'm looking into a 3.4, or a Lexus v8 swap toward the end of the year. i'd consider a supra swap only if i found a whole car with a good motor, or if there was a motor w/ wiring harness around for a decent deal.. but that's rarer than seeing Hickey wheeling... ;)

also, kinda of a rare swap to see is the MR2 motors in 4runners/trucks... i've got some buddies that work at Larry H Miller who say they see those motors in there alot and can be had for cheap... the motor's been around forever and has huge aftermarket availability... one of the guys down there has the MR2 motor in his 2wd toy pickup, and it hauls...

-Jason

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I started a 7MGE swap, it's cool & is bolt in with the right parts, but the wiring is another thing all together. I never got to the point of wiring mine, but they do tend to run hot & blow head gaskets. Plus cramming it into my '85 was tight... the 1st Gen Toyotas have even less room front to back, so you'd have to do something drastic to make it fit (Radiator in back) or give up the idea.

7MGE Swap thread

attachment.php

I've always loved the 4 cyl Taco motors, seems like they have tons of torque at all RPM's. I think this would be a great choice IF you can get it to work with your t-cases. I'd imagine Marlin makes an adapter, but I doubt either of those 4 cyls will bolt to your transmission or t-case. Again, the wiring and lack of common swaps with these motors make them harder/more $$. I do think the 4 Cyl Taco motor would be perfect with your gearing & tires

I have long wanted to build a 22R with a 20R head, there's some machine work that needs to be done to make them bolt up, but I too have heard that 150hp is easy to accomplish. But you don't have to deal with wiring so you're saving time & money there.

I know you said you didn't want to deal with turbos, but what about taking a 22R, using a 22RE-T (the turbo 22RE) exhaust manifold to bolt on a turbo & running it on propane? It would be pretty easy, somewhat cheap, the parts are plentiful and it would all bolt right in. A few pounds of boost would be enough to make it move quite well. Propane loves boost, it has a high octane rating... perfect for turbos. I'd LOVE to build something like that! :greg:

So there... that's my 2 cents. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
3.4 (5VZ) and be done with it... power, very reliable, and adaptablity. There are stand alone wiring harnesses on the market, and low milage motors can be had for ~$1k

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
3.4 (5VZ) and be done with it... power, very reliable, and adaptablity. There are stand alone wiring harnesses on the market, and low milage motors can be had for ~$1k

That would be the best bet, IMO. I loved that motor in my Taco, all aluminum means little weight too. 4 valves per cyl really makes that motor scream. :greg:

richpblaze

If you want to pay $4500.00 to $5000

Depending on how much you have to spend I've heard good things about the LC engineering engines. My plan is to eventually swap one into my Toyota. They have a couple different options.

For a 150 hp Toy motor I have a 2000 HP Vortec 200 hp stock. Get rid of the Toy JUNK and go Chevy. My .02:eek: :eek: :eek:

wr250

insert lame comment
For a 150 hp Toy motor I have a 2000 HP Vortec 200 hp stock. Get rid of the Toy JUNK and go Chevy. My .02

if you are going to all that trouble get the 1uzfe (or 2uzfe) v8 from toyota/lexus ; it will spank that vortec motor. lexus is a branch of toyota.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
if you are going to all that trouble get the 1uzfe (or 2uzfe) v8 from toyota/lexus ; it will spank that vortec motor. lexus is a branch of toyota.

Adapters???

While I would stock with a Toy motor if possilbe, the Vortec is VERY easy to swap, everything is commercially available. While I've seen custom machined adapters, I've never seen one commercially available for the Lexus stuff.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Adapters???

While I would stock with a Toy motor if possilbe, the Vortec is VERY easy to swap, everything is commercially available. While I've seen custom machined adapters, I've never seen one commercially available for the Lexus stuff.

there's a guy in PG who's almost completed an entire kit for a Lexus swap... i'm not entirely sure if that's with an adapter, or swapping a new bellhousing, or tranny all together though...

-Jason

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
there's a guy in PG who's almost completed an entire kit for a Lexus swap... i'm not entirely sure if that's with an adapter, or swapping a new bellhousing, or tranny all together though...

-Jason

Who??

So even if you have the adapter, you still have to deal with the wiring... the 3.4l & Vortec have stand alone harnesses available... I doubt there is much market for the Lexus motors as far as a harness.

I'd love to see the HP/Tor. numbers of the Lexus motors versus a 3.4l or Vortec, while I have no doubt the Lexus has a higher HP, its likely at 6000rpms...

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee

not sure, i've been talking to the guy on Pirate...

So even if you have the adapter, you still have to deal with the wiring... the 3.4l & Vortec have stand alone harnesses available... I doubt there is much market for the Lexus motors as far as a harness.

there's guys that i've seen on Pirate that'll wire up a stand alone harness for you... it's available, but not sure on cost...

I'd love to see the HP/Tor. numbers of the Lexus motors versus a 3.4l or Vortec, while I have no doubt the Lexus has a higher HP, its likely at 6000rpms...

yeah, i'm still leaning in the 3.4 direction... v8 might be abit more power than i'm looking for.. 3.4 feels perfect for what i want..

-Jason

MattL

Who??

So even if you have the adapter, you sll have to deal with the wiring... the 3.4l & Vortec have stand alone harnesses available... I doubt there is much market for the Lexus motors as far as a harness.

I think his name is superrunner
I have followed that thread as well.
here is the thread

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
why am i not surprised you know of him? :p

He has been around for along time... he used to have a grey 4Runner with a turbo supra swap... he was a member of WildYoats for sometime too. I actually bought a FJ40 from him (or one of his brothers?) several years ago, that when I saw another rig he was working on (Supra swap for a customer back east I recall)...

What Lexus models do these V8's come from?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
What Lexus models do these V8's come from?

LS400... While on the internet, I have found that the Lexus LS400 engine is a very strong V8. The LS400 engine (1UZFE) has been documented to produce over 2,700 horse power... That is with built internal with 50 psi of boost. Beside the Australian making monstrous power, Turbonetics also use similar motor to break the 200 mph mark in 1/4 mile. Meanwhile, a Japanese high performance company called HKS also use the similar motor to produce mega horse power in their drag car.. However, beside being strong, the 1UZFE engine also demonstrated to be very durable. The average life span of the engine had been widely reported to hit at around 400k miles... Few instances the car had reached 600k miles.

-Jason