toyota help

spork40

i am looking at a 4runner and wanted help. i am looking at in inexpensive off road toy. what is good to look out for? what is the issue with the 6 cyl? what are good years? i am looking at $3k range

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
I would stay away from the 3.0. I've had 3, 89 pickup, 90 2-door Runner, 92 4Runner. If it's had head gaskets, then it's a little more peace of mind. I never got more than 15mpg out of one. My 92 was an auto w/4.88's and 31's, got 11-13mpg and real sluggish. Doesn't pull anything real good either. My 88 w/4 banger pulled every bit as good if not better. They are not junk, I just got tired of trying to find one that would pull a small load and get the mpg of my 2.4l. If you could find a 96-97 w/3.4 for cheap that would be a good deal. If not look for an older one that has some mods already to put it in the 3k range.:D

choptopbII

Check and make sure it has a solid frame that's not all rusted out.
I'd probably go for a manual, Just because the auto don't have low enough gears and they rob a lot of power. And its easy to upgrade a manual with dual cases later down the road
4 cylinder (22re) turbo is a plus.... 23 spline tranny
The v6 (3.0) Some people don't like em.... I like em' I know some that run great with zero issues and then i've seen some that are junk. I think the main issue on the 3.0 is the head gaskets. The 3.0 came out in 1988 and the used that up until 1995.
As for "good years" anything from 1979-1995 is good. But if your wanting to start out with a solid front axle then anything from 1979-1985 will have a solid front axle.
But if your wanting a 4 runner with a solid front axle then 1984-1985 is going to be your best bet.

What year is the 4 runner your looking at?

spork40

i am looking at one that is an 88, with a v6 out of a 91. the 4runner has 200+miles but the engine has under 100, what signs can i look for for the head gasket issue? driving it seems sluggish and almost stalls at a stop, could that be due to bad gas? what can i do to find out more? how is the ifs front offroad? i have heard that some prefer due to clearance, how does it hold up?

what about an 86 4 runner? what to look for? what if any diff from an 88?

Last edited:

choptopbII

i am looking at one that is an 88, with a v6 out of a 91. the 4runner has 200+miles but the engine has under 100, what signs can i look for for the head gasket issue? driving it seems sluggish and almost stalls at a stop, could that be due to bad gas? what can i do to find out more? how is the ifs front offroad? i have heard that some prefer due to clearance, how does it hold up?

what about an 86 4 runner? what to look for? what if any diff from an 88?

I would stay away from that 4 runner if i was you, Yeah it could be bad gas but it could also be a lot more...

IFS... It pretty much sucks, Lack of articulation.... It's weak. And if you plan to do any type of rock crawling with it, your going to be destroying CV shafts quite often

86 runner... It's probably a 22r or a 22re 4 cylinder, other than that it's probably the same as the 88.

Yota

What reasons do you prefer a 4runner over a pickup? I've loved having my 88 x-cab even though I can only seat 3. It has the 22re and 5speed. Don't get me wrong first gen 4runners are awesome, I'd shoot for an 84 or 85 if you're after the solid front. IFS isn't bad if you're just planning on going on trails and camping and what not. I've seen good 3.0's but I favor the 22re.
So I'd say atleast find a first generation 4runner with the 22re. My buddy just picked up a 85 runner with the 22re and a solid front for $600 and we rebuilt the motor for just under $600. So he's only $1200ish into it and he has a stock stallion. Then with the rest of your 3k you can do odds and ends like tires, suspension whatever.
Otherwise I'd look for a newer one with the 3.4

spork40

thanks for all the help. after looking at a lot of different rigs i could not get the jeep blood out of me and i ended up with a 75 cj5.