Wanted Toyota IFS manual locking AISIN hubs.

KToy

I have a 1997 toyota 4runner that I want to put manual locking hubs on. I know all the tacoma hubs will work but not sure about the older hubs. I know some hubs have red and others have gray. prefer the gray ones if you have them. Hoping that someone is doing and SAS and getting rid of the IFS stuff.

Thanks

sixstringsteve

Do you have the stock its?

When I researched the swap, I believe i read that you need to either swap knuckles with a manual hub Tacoma or you need to get different wheel bearings and hubs (I don't believe the manual hubs came with abs tone rings).

Also, going to manual hubs means you'll have to go with the weaker, smaller CVS. They're not tons weaker, but its worth mentioning.

I've heard the manual hub swap doesn't affect mpg at all. Maybe 0.5 mpg, but I've read a lot of guys who wished they hadn't gone through the hassle of it all.

I don't mean to sound like a known it all, I just remember o had the manual hubs and knuckles to swap over, then after all my research was that the benefits were marginal at best.

KToy

Thanks for the info.

There is a lot of info in there I had no idea about. I drive my vehicle 35k a year so even .5 mpg is a lot of money saved. I also have a 2.7 liter engine. Just got it back from the shop. Got it for 950 and put in a toyota motor with 30k on it. You make a good argument to NOT do the hubs. I might have to rethink my idea and if its worth it or not. Maybe a solid axle is the way to go since I don't like IFS that much.

sixstringsteve

Sounds like a really cool rig. You scored at that price!

What don't you like about the its? What are your plans for it? Keep driving it 35k a year, or turn it into a dedicated crawler? I'll be excited to see what you decide to do. Fwiw, a SAS on a 96 or newer 4runner is a ton more work than on a 95 or older.

KToy

Ifs is weak and not a lot of articulation but this is my daily driver so I won't be doing anything to it. If I did do anything I would do a 3 to 5 inch lift SAS kit from trail gear.

On a side not I just retired my 98 Tacoma that has 300000 miles on it. It's a 2wd that I'm building Into a crawler. Can't decide between changing the transmission and dual cases or an atlas transfer case behind my 2wd tranny.

KToy

I am a huge fan of Toyota stuff on my rig though. Not sure an Atlas would work with my rig but im going to start researching it and looking into building my new rig. In the mean time I will keep my auto hubs on the 4runner and just drive the miles up.

Thanks man