Toyota IFS swap in pre 1985's

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
I need some info and PICS if you have them.
I am converting my Toy crank 85 box to a IFS box. I have the kit and read the instruction from all pro and marlin. Do you have some hands on tips before I start.
I have welded my steering arm on the pass knuckle for the conversion.
I am not using the high steer kit and my tie rod will run under my springs.

Attachments

• high steer 001.jpg
    high steer 001.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 13
  • high steer 006.jpg
    high steer 006.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Mount your box as far forward as you can. Since you're running crossover, it won't matter but if you decide to upgrade later, your pitman arm won't hit your tierod when the driver tire is stuffed. It will also allow you room to move your axle forward a bit for a better approach angle.

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
School me on Rod Ends for my drag link.
The Spherical end that uses a 5/8 bolt or the Standard Tapered end, what is the pro's and con's
How can I check to see what taper I now have on my IFS box?
How can I check the Toyota factory taper on the stock end that I welded on my knuckle?
Is there a tool that can tell you the taper?

kobyhud

Lurker
Tie-Rod ends generally require less maintenance and hold tighter for longer. But Heims sure are easy to install and depending on the joint can oftentimes take a greater misalignment.

ZUK

BOB-CAT said:
I need some info and PICS if you have them.
I am converting my Toy crank 85 box to a IFS box. I have the kit and read the instruction from all pro and marlin. Do you have some hands on tips before I start.
I have welded my steering arm on the pass knuckle for the conversion.
I am not using the high steer kit and my tie rod will run under my springs.

silly me....when I first read the subject line, I thought somebody was setting a new standard and installing the whole IFS front end under an 85 truck. :)

I just helped a buudy complete one of those basic cross-overs on his 85 Runner. I fabbed up the Y-arm for his passenger side also. On the way out of the garage, he noticed right away that it "steered easier" ....so let us know if you notice that compared to the J arm steering.

What's really cool about basic cross-over is the tie-rod and draglink never come close to each other....so you can move that front axle as far forward as you need. Things get a little more complicated with the Hi-steer. Right now, nobody sells a basic cross-over kit. Yet you can get Hi-Steer from numerous places. Go fig. :sick:

The steering box brace is a good idea there.....but that pumpkin protector is not my fav style cause it hangs down a little due to the tilt of the axle housing. Since you managed to fab up the Y arm you might consider fabbing up a diff protector that tucks in close near the bottom....a strip or 2 of 1/4" flat stock can make for a nice protector.

ZUK

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
Cleaned up the frame and welded on the new bracket

Attachments

• IFS swap 002.jpg
    IFS swap 002.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IFS swap 004.jpg
    IFS swap 004.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IFS swap 007.jpg
    IFS swap 007.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 9

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
Drilled out the new sleeves out and welded them in

Cleaned up the surface panted

Eating Dinner then back to work.

Attachments

• IFS swap 009.jpg
    IFS swap 009.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IFS swap 011.jpg
    IFS swap 011.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 9

O'neal

?????????
Curious on how you welded up the arm.Did you use the full arm....drill out the hole's so a socket could fit in to tighten down the nut's,with it welded all the way and plated or did you just use partial of the arm and plated?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
ZUK said:
... Right now, nobody sells a basic cross-over kit. Yet you can get Hi-Steer from numerous places. Go fig. :sick: ...

Aqualu makes a double steering arm... WAY expensive though ~$200, but it is one-peice cast, and I have seen home jobbers break. For those that are welding their own... make sure you are following the proper procedures (heat up, cool down) for cast welding. If your not comfortable doing it... places like McNees & Lockhart's in SLC will do it for cheap...

Steering-Arm-1.gif

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
And all I did was use a old end and weld it upside down.

Attachments

• IFS swap 018.jpg
    IFS swap 018.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IFS swap 020.jpg
    IFS swap 020.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IFS swap 024.jpg
    IFS swap 024.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

wrnchplr

free loader!!
i was just out at bob-cat's house getting some springs "Thanks again"
and this is looking good and he made it sound so easy. what i was wondering is what are you going to make the other link out of? you have the center drag link are you going to use the samething to go from the gear box down?

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
wrnchplr said:
i was just out at bob-cat's house getting some springs "Thanks again"
and this is looking good and he made it sound so easy. what i was wondering is what are you going to make the other link out of? you have the center drag link are you going to use the samething to go from the gear box down?

Thanks for dropping over.
An old tie rod that I shortend, works good but I will be going over to RL for a new one.
Thanks