Toyota long travel kit

jgb

What is the company's name that makes the killer long travel kits

Yes thanks anyone else recommend any quality lift kits? Kurt? It'd my buddy and he is looking to clear 35" tires.

First, which are you looking for, a LT kit (set-up) or a lift kit, apples and oranges.....maybe not even in the same food group.....

I am running Camburg on my Ford, so I will say I am biased, call up Jerry or Scott and explain what you are looking for and he will recommend a set-up for you, assuming you want a LT set-up, not a lift kit.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
From my understanding, fitting 35's on a FJ Cruiser will require cutting into the body mount directly behind the front tire. And that is with careful wheel & backspacing selection.

Jesser04

First, which are you looking for, a LT kit (set-up) or a lift kit, apples and oranges.....maybe not even in the same food group.....

I am running Camburg on my Ford, so I will say I am biased, call up Jerry or Scott and explain what you are looking for and he will recommend a set-up for you, assuming you want a LT set-up, not a lift kit.

He wants a lift kit I'm trying to push him towards a LT kit. That's why I came to rme I thought you guys would be able to help and you have. He wants to clear 35"s and it will be mainly a dd. I personally would rather run 33"s with a LT kit than 35"s and a lift kit. Every db has a lifted fj but how many LT fj's have you seen? Anymore info will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
We have done quite a few FJ's with 35's, a 6" kit and just a quick body mount mod and BAM!!! Bad A$$ looking rig, (for a toyota)

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
True, I do like that setup...

I always thought that if I bought one, I would do a Procomp 6" coil over kit with the Bushwacker pocket flares, a little body mount mod, and 37's. We fit it once, looked sweet, but a little big for an FJ. No power with the 37's.

jgb

He wants a lift kit I'm trying to push him towards a LT kit. That's why I came to rme I thought you guys would be able to help and you have. He wants to clear 35"s and it will be mainly a dd. I personally would rather run 33"s with a LT kit than 35"s and a lift kit. Every db has a lifted fj but how many LT fj's have you seen? Anymore info will be greatly appreciated thanks.

First, it is his vehicle not yours, second, it is his money not yours. LT set-ups are not cheap. Seems like a lot of money to spend on 13" (Total Chaos) and 14" (Camburg) of wheel travel just for a daily driver.....

Jesser04

First, it is his vehicle not yours, second, it is his money not yours. LT set-ups are not cheap. Seems like a lot of money to spend on 13" (Total Chaos) and 14" (Camburg) of wheel travel just for a daily driver.....

Really?? Did I it a soft spot with the douch bag comment? Sorry if I did. My friend came to me looking for advice he wants a nice fj and he wants it to be a little bit different than what you see on the daily. I recommended he look into a long travel kit. I couldn't remember the mfg off the top of my head so I asked rme for help.

Jesser04

True, I do like that setup...

I always thought that if I bought one, I would do a Procomp 6" coil over kit with the Bushwacker pocket flares, a little body mount mod, and 37's. We fit it once, looked sweet, but a little big for an FJ. No power with the 37's.

How dare you suggest a 3000.00 + kit it's not your money... :greg:

Thanks for the help I'm gonna have him give 4 wheel parts a call.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Its easy to spend someone elses money. I'm good at that. Just throwing out some ideas. Everyone has to build it for how they are going to use it.

jgb

...Just throwing out some ideas. Everyone has to build it for how they are going to use it.

Thank-you, which was exactly the point I was trying to make:

Really?? Did I it a soft spot with the douch bag comment?

Nope.

My friend came to me looking for advice he wants a nice fj and he wants it to be a little bit different than what you see on the daily. I recommended he look into a long travel kit. I couldn't remember the mfg off the top of my head so I asked rme for help.

Which then you came here, and have received advice, but my advice will change as you post more information.

If you called Camburg up and talked to Jerry Zaiden and said this was for a daily driver he will tell you the same thing, you don't need it, that there are other set-ups you could do that would be cheaper, less work, less alterations, and more road worthy.

EDIT: Peruse the Camburg and Total Chaos write-ups, did you notice neither mentions anything about the rear of the vehicle. So, now add in the cost of custom springs to match the travel of the front, additional high cost shocks (by pass, remote reservoirs), limit straps, and misc hardware. The costs will add up quickly.

I know of two people on this forum who have LT set-ups, myself and the guy who did the white Bronco (can't remember his sign-in name), it is expensive and a lot of work.

Last edited: