toyota motor/rebuld tech ?'s

JRYOTA

please chime in engine guru's! :)
so i have an '85 4runner with 280k on the odoan ??k on the 22re. a while ago the motor started actin up. the little vent behind the oil filler cap kept blowing off. everyone i talked to said it had too much crankcae pressure and must have bad rings. well i had jst finished puttiung in a newseal in the oil pump an noticed the vent hose off again. so i put it back on a little tighter than usual, only to have the rubber camshaft plug blow off the back of the head.
so i decided to pull the motor. turns out i have alot of stuff from LC engineering- dual row timing, different pistons- i think are .020 over cant remember for sure, stainless or some special valves etc. the cylinder walls had been worn don so there is a lip on the top of each cylinder. when the pistons came out, they and the rings looked ok. is there anythig to look for to inicate bad rings? what else could cuase excess crankcase pressure?

Last edited:

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
those heads like to crack right inbetween the valve seats, it kind of sounds like you have a nasty crack, if you havent torn the motor down, do a compression test first & see what youve got. hopefully that will tell you which one is leaking.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The rings looked OK??? :rofl:

Sorry, that's one I've never heard before. If you can feel the ridge with your finger tip, it's time for some major work. Since you hint to the ridge, I'm guessing there's no cross hatch marks left on the cylinder wall? Sounds like it's time to re-ring, and probably bore that block again.

JRYOTA

goose you are on to something :) i looked an low and behold, all 4 of em are cracked. lucky i have access to an extra stock block and head

leorn

reset
I would verify the dimensions of the head you have. Make sure it is not different than a stock head before you pay for a machine work to be done on a part that won't work.

I say this because after driving it, I know your 22re was much stronger than the norm, so the head itself may have been an upgrade. I wonder if it is ported and polished?

Also have an somebody verify that your pistons, valves and other components are good. Your getting into the realm of wasting a lot of money and time if something small is slightly deformed...

JRYOTA

i need to finish tearing down the head i.e. the rockers an cam. an im not sure why there was so much power, i dont think all the power came just from it being already bored .040 over, maybe a combo of that and a port/polish or aftermarket head like you said. i do know i have stainless steal exhaust valves. but how exactly would i tell if it was ported and polished? and i have chet's in ogden looking at a spare stock head to check valve seats and the see if it needs to be faced or not. even if the head that was on it was aftermarket, im not sure i wanna use it, even if the cracks in the valve seats arent affecting it in any bad way. also, i had my boss look at my pistons and they are still good.

Last edited:

JRYOTA

so it turns out all the valves are stock. but i notice something as i was takin the head apart. whoever the idiot was that built this truck/motor in the first place, put a 1/2 in bolt in the METRIC hole on the middle cam cap instead of a 12mm...