Toyota rear spring up front

sixstringsteve

check pirate4x4.com under the "toyota" section, then check the "toyota bible 2.0". There is a HUGE thread there that really walks you through the process and answers all these questions. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but that's where all the info is.

Here's the thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265669

Also, read up on that toyota bible 2.0, it's crammed full of very useful info.

I've got a buddy in Blanding who is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. He used to teach at the middle school. His name is Jared B.

You should post up in the "new members/introductions" thread, we'd love to learn more about you.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
RUF (Rears Up Front) are a great way to gain about 4" of lift while also shifting the axle forward about an 1 1/2" to allow for better flex with larger tires.

What you will need in order to use them:

-Fabricate or buy a new front spring hanger (RUF springs are longer requiring the front hanger to be moved forward)
-Highsteer or crossover steering is mandatory.
-Longer shocks
-Long travel front driveshaft
-longer brake lines
-Longer shackles. 4.5" to 5" hole to hole if I remember right.

Only downfall is 4" is a lot of lift for a first gen Toyota pickup imo, but depending on your needs that may be what you're after. Hope this helps,

Andrew

EDIT: I'm pretty sure all 4x4 79-85 rear pickup springs and 84-89 4runner springs will work for this swap. From what I've seen the earlier pickups had a lot more arch than the later ones. I'd try to find some from a 2nd gen pickup (or 84-98 4runner) or later just to be safe if you're shooting for around 4" of lift.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I was lucky to get 2" of lift out of mine. maybe my springs were too sagged out to begin with. I ended up having to swap in some 3" lift springs and mixing them in the pack to get the lift I needed. Rot Box has the coolest rig...

leorn

reset
-Fabricate or buy a new front spring hanger (RUF springs are longer requiring the front hanger to be moved forward)
Great list Rot Box! I wanted to note that on my 85 4 runner I was able to use the stock spring hanger. It does need some beefing up.

My only complaint with RUF is that they wrap even with an anti-wrap leaf and a thicker spring in the mix. I do admit that it took me years to notice this. It really is only a factor on the most extreme trails with extremely steep climbs. I would not trade my RUF for any aftermarket springs. I own a set of custom alcans in the rear, so I know what quality springs can do. The only upgrade for me would be to link it.

Keep your old springs and any others you have laying around for tuning purposes later. Add and subtract leaves to change how soft they are and also to increase or decrease lift. Plan on doing this a few times until you like it. Be sure to run the spring clamps! Don't cut them off if you can avoid it. Extend them if necessary. They will increase the life of your springs and help with wrap. I would say you can reasonably get anywhere from 2-5" lift depending on the mix you create. Also put a anti-wrap leaf on from the get go.

By the list that Rot Box gave you I hope you can add up that it is not a cheap swap. The springs themselves are, but the related mods are not!

TrailMods

I am all most done with my RUF i used springs from a 94 toyota with a 2" lift on them the process was pretty simple to do I used the spring hanger kit from Trail Gear. The kit came with the new spring hanger and bushings and greasable bolts.