Toyota springs/axle interchange question

monkey

AIRBORN USAF
For a Toyota smart guy. Are their any Toyota springs that interchange, like truck to truck or FJ40 to truck or Runner to truck or 40 or ???. Hello, did I make any sense? Also, can Truck axles go on an FJ40 so spring over is made easy of is that a pipe-dream? Any help, thanks.
:confused:

monkey

AIRBORN USAF
what

can I put 79-83 toyota truck/early 4runner springs on an FJ40 or will the same year axles from either work on the 40? If yes are there certain years that would be best? Thanks

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
My first thought would be that the 40 weighs a considerable amount more than a PU, which would just flatten out the springs. I think it would be easier to do a spring over to the cruiser axles than a complete axle swap. All you have to do is weld some perches on top and some minor steering issues. Are your springs you have on your 40 the stock ones? If so, they would make an excellent spring for your spring over.

monkey

AIRBORN USAF
o.k.

Well my 40 springs are fine, I just have these Trailmaster 4inch lift springs from a 4runner.

I also want disk brakes on front since drums are drums, so if an axle from a truck with top perches (spring over) works I dont have to cut off the nuckles, turn them and reweld, then still do a top perch switch. If I have to do all that I may just get Chev 8 lug axles and switch my t-case since I am trying to run a small block with SM465 tranny anyways.

My question is, Are truck axles not as wide, to weak/small, gears, etc or would they work under my 40 so I can have spring over, discs, and good gears and if yes is their an ideal set of truck or Runner axles for what I want. :confused: :confused:

Thanks

Last edited:

90slvpup

A pickup and runner axle will be skinnier than your 40 but it is basically the same 8'' diff that most toyotas use. the 8 '' diff is actually just about as strong as a D44. but like the guy said before if you are trying to use those springs on your 40 they will just sag. you need a different spring i would say. if you are looking for a custom lift spring check Old Man Emu or Alcan springs at AOR they can build you just about anything you want.

monkey

AIRBORN USAF
axles

Will the axles from the truck/Runner fit underneath without mods or do I need to cut perches for different spring width if I use my stock 40 springs? Also, do you know about how much more narrow the truck axles are compared to the 40? Are different years of axles wider than others?

90slvpup

I have been corrected, an FJ 40 has about 1 inch shorter axle shafts than a Pickup/Runner. I asked around but havent heard back if you could run a pickup axle underneath your FJ 40 without modification. Ill keep you posted.

Mason

90slvpup

Here it goes, there would be no point in swaping out your FJ 40 front out for a pickup front for two reasons: 1st The diff is stronger an 8.8'' diff ring gear. 2nd all you have to do is weld perches onto the top of the FJ 40 to do a spring over design which would be the best way to go. so it is just plain easier and cheaper to keep your axle and buy new perches to weld onto the bottom. Good Luck ;)

marvin82

Rocking the Yota!
Actually the mini/hilux axles are wider that the 40. At least my '82 has wider axles than my '66 40...... R&P on the 40 is bigger but more options for the mini....