Toyota Tranny

chillinshima

I have a 90 Toyota pickup. The main bearing in the tranny(manual) is going out, and I want to upgrade or replace my tranny during the repair process. Does anyone know what a good replacement would be. I swapped a 7MGE so the torque is much different than the stock 22RE. I have 32" tires too. I believe that all toyota trannys can swap bell housings so they'll run on any toyota. (please correct me if I am wrong). I also want to have it geared so that 1-3 are geared low for crawling while 4-5 are geared more for highway use seeings how it's my daily driver. Any suggestion? Is is possible to piece something like the supra's 4-5 into a truck/4runner tranny?

thanks for the help in advance.

p.s. I don't mind having to do a little fab for the tranny crossmember. I've done similar work in the past and I'm okay with doing it a little to get what I am looking for.

Karnage Fab

u have a w56 transmission, u could swap in a w59 from a 4 cyl Tacoma, but u will need the taco-gear driven t-case adapter from marlin, its going to be the best bang for the buck setup, unless u want to take a r154 from a supra and a r150 from a v6 yota truck/4runner and make a cross between the two, using the input shaft and gears off the r154 and tail housing off the r150. I have the same problem with my 4runner, it has the taco 3rz 2.7 with a w56, and im on my 3rd transmission, when this one eats the bearings, I will just get the taco w59 and the marlin adapter and be done. the w56 was designed for a 22re with 112 hp and 142 lbs. of torque, the w59 tranny is designed for 150 hp and 177 ft lbs of torque, so its better suited for your 7mge's 199 hp and 188 ft lbs of torque. the marlin adapter is about $400 and can be found here, but u will also need a 23 spline input gear for your transfercase http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/t/c-adapters/1995-2004-3rz-fe-27-liter-i4-drivetrains

Karnage Fab

I didn't want to hear that. :(
u might have better luck than me, I have a 4300 lb rig with a hopped up 3rz dual cases with 4.7's, 35" tires and 4.30 axle gears with spools on both ends and I drive like I stole it, 3rd gear clutch drops happen when out wheeling, and my less than a yr old clutch is on its last leg. I lost one transmission due to pure stupidity, put it in double low in 2wd, lock up the brakes and let the clutch out, and it will idle and push the front locked up tires with no throttle. that ate an input bearing real quick. 5th gear bearings usually go out first, then the input shaft bearing goes next.